Looking for some specific advice on buying a drill

only in the marketing department :-)

Reply to
charlieB

Very helpful thanks and yes another option too.

However I bought a Makita circular saw and it has been excellent, the only Ryobi product I own is one of there compound mitre saws and it feels very cheap.

Based on this I might have reservations about the Ryobi kit but then I might be totally wrong

Reply to
Gogs

I dont want to get into a battle with John, as it benifits no one.

However I will make three observations, out of the mainy that I could make. When I mentioned possible heat problems I was on about, and specifically made mention to wires not batteries. I didnt insinuate this would be a problem on either drill, but was merely outlining some principles of electricity. John was right to correct me on the energy rather than power, but since both are mesured in watts or joules, I feel it was a pedantic correction... ok power is more about energy and time, and energy is just concerned with... well energy. And finally I was agreeing with John re the importance of 2 batteries so why his reply seemed to be negative to what I had said I do not know. Anyhow its good for us all to chip in with our thoughts and hopefully Gog can make an informed choice as a result... no hard feelings John Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

Sorry, did not even realise that we were in disagreement! ;-)

You raised some interesting points, so I used them to explore some other things that had not been discussed so far (like the issue of weight of the higher voltage tools etc, and the implications of varying cell quality)

I did not particularly comment on the heat loss in the wires since it will be insignificant compared to that in the motor, battery and gearbox. (I know from personal experience that my 18V battery drill when worked hard for a long time, will be ejecting cooling air that is uncomfortably hot if directed straight at the skin)

Fair enough, although I get the feeling that most folks in this group are reasonable well up on basic electrical principles.

I was actually only agreeing with your basic point that more cells will yield more energy.

"both are measured in watts or joules" is a bit sloppy though isn't it?

Apologies if it sounded negative it was not intended to be.

Reply to
John Rumm