Which Drill ?

Does anybody have some advice on which drill to buy, my poor old Boch has bitten the dust ?

Ideally I'd like SDS for getting holes trough my excessivly thick (3 foot) walls. I see its possible to buy SDS drills where you turn the SDS off and can use them as normal drills and even screwdrivers, with a chuck adaptor. I don't see myself doein any demolition with an SDS drill, I prefer something bigger for that job - like a JCB. I have no idea if the smaller SDS drills will drive a 1m long 22mm drill bit through 3 foot of hard stone in any reasonable time.

Secondly I'd like a cordless, for some of the less tough work, where I simply can't be bothered having the cable. The idea of loosing the cable when up a ladder/scaffold is cool.

The number of choices is endless, I am happy to spend 100+ quid on each, last thing I want is a drill that imposonates a B&Q PPro tool.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

See the FAQ. Also Screwfix are/were doing a deal for the Makita for £99. Good deal.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Crikey. I'm impressed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For you. Do not look at the FAQ or Screwfix.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Bosch blue ones are the usual recommendation...

does it do all 3 functions though? I woudnt get a 2 function one.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Which Makita is Screfix doing for £99?

Can't find anything here:

Bill Woods

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Bosch blue ones are the usual recommendation...

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Makita 2450X sounds like a good match for that. It has 780W which is a little more than normal for this class of tool, so ought to do well with your walls.

Best deal at the moment is probably:

is the same price as screwfix, but also includes the extra chuck and some bits etc.

Do you need hammer on the cordless?

If so the 100 limit is going to be a bit tight for a top end combi cordless tool.

The new three speed MXT range Makitas are seriously good - but quite pricey.

Say for example:

you just need a drill driver, then you have more choice amoung the top end kit.

Something like the Hitachi might be good:

John Rumm