Loft power socket?

Up in my loft I need to add a power socket which will be used to power one tv amplifier.

There is the lighting circuit up there, and conveniently near to where I need the socket, there is a brown juntion box which just has 1 twin+earth in, and one the same out. Perhaps someone used this to join the cables?

Anyway. Can I just connect a length of twin+earth into here, then connect the other end into a 5A single socket.

I'll have to cut the flex from the TV amp and fit a 5A fuse with the rounded pins to fit the socket.

Does this sound OK?

Ideally i'd like a double socket up there because for a while whilst i'm installing the aerial stuff i'd maybe like a spare "normal pin" socket available to charge a small power tool, but these perhaps could be misinterpreted as a "proper" socket in the future and someone might overload the lighting circuit?

I'm also understanding that this wouldnt be notifiable under part P? I do have some old cable length up there I could use.......but then again the 5A socket I buy will probably have a date on it somewhere.......

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Reply to
Anonymous

I had a TV amp wired direct to the lighting circuit for years, it only used about 10w and was perfectly happy. I wouldn't advise using any form of plug/socket arrangement though, it's inviting an accidental overload.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yebbut is that a joint in the line+neutral, or in the switchedlive+neutral, in which case your telly will only work when the appropriate light is on.

Yes

plug - the round pin ones are unfused

Yes

That is why an ordinary 13A socket should not be fitted on a lighting circuit. You /could/ take the supply through a prominently-marked 3A fused connection unit to the socket as a way of reducing the badness.

If you only need it to charge a power tool why can't you charge it elsewhere?

Only thing I can foresee is that if you have a TT installation you need a 30mA RCD on all sockets, and your lighting circuit might be on a 100mA RCD (or no RCD). Technically I think the RCD requirement would apply to a 5A socket but it would certainly apply to a 13A socket.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I used a 2 amp clock point for a TV amplifier.

Reply to
John

I would probably put in a switched fused spur with a 5A fuse in it..

Not sure if its kosher or not...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

The existing junction box must be in the live + neutral because the amp is powered when the loft light is turned off.

The upstairs lighting circuit is on a 6A RCD.

The consensus on here and on another forum where I asked the same question, seems to be that the best way to do this is to use a FCU fitted with a 3A fuse, and clearly mark it as follows

"MAXIMUM LOAD 3 AMP / 600 WATTS"

Also, there is a bit of banter going on as to whether this work will require a minor works certificate. There is agreement that the work is not notifiable, but disagreement as to the certificate.

We're not planning on selling the house anytime soon, so I guess whatever the outcome I don't need to worry?

Thanks again for the replies.

Reply to
Anonymous

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:37:23 GMT someone who may be "--Carpy" wrote this:-

Indeed, perhaps with a cord outlet near to the amplifier.

I don't see any need for that on the FCU. If anyone in the future wishes to re-arrange the fixed wiring then one of the first things they need to do is ascertain what circuits things are connected to.

However, if installing a 13A socket on the lighting circuit it should certainly be permanently marked in this way and perhaps a different colour.

Reply to
David Hansen

Years ago looking to future use I started with a spur off of the house ring main routed through the airing cupboard to a single socket and switched fuse spur for the loft light. Became very useful when I later boarded the loft and now runs the network hub and TV booster splitter

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Fine, if it is permanent live.

Yes.

The round pin plugs are not usually fused. The fuse will be the 5/6A fuse/MCB at the consumer unit.

Yes.

Indeed. I would not do this. Just use an extension lead from downstairs if you can't extend or spur from the ring.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle