Load for a 5amp wall socket

But that would not be unsafe,

Reply to
ARW

I believe that NT meant the outside light, under the 17th edition regs may be required to have RCD protection. In this case I do not believe that it does not require RCD protection.

Reply to
ARW

Couldn't you not express yourself less unclearly?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In this case I do not believe that it requires RCD protection.:-)

Reply to
ARW

One flat I rewired I found had a socket wired in to the feed to the immersion heater switch.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

That's the opposite of what you initially said.

Reply to
Huge

The 5 amp socket I intend to use does have shuttering. Another quesion: Does it matter that the light switch is also a dimmer switch (re 20watt outdoor floodlight LED with PIR)

Reply to
ss

Electrically but 1.2 kW isn't a big load when used to just plugging in and using. I'd expect the average hover to trip a 6 A MCB at switch on, thus turning the lights off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It doesn't matter to the plug, socket or wiring, but unless the LED says it's dimmable it won't run off a dimmer switch, even then you are likely to need an LED specific dimmer, the load will be too low for most "normal" dimmer switches.

But I doubt there are many outdoor floodlights that *are* dimmable ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It does. DAMHIK

NT

Reply to
meow2222

CR supplies used in LEDs fry rapidly on dimmer switches. Replace with a switch.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

B-) DAMHIK that an 800 W microwave does as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's because of last nights painkillers and alcohol - OK:-)?

And I had to walk home in the gf's dressing gown this morning because we forgot to take my clothes out of her washing maching to dry last night.

Reply to
ARW

Its not often seen, but its a perfectly valid and sensible arrangement for those that life table lamps etc.

Could be on a lighting circuit or their own. If on the socket circuit then there ought to be additional fusing elsewhere.

As a rough guide, divide the wattage by the supply voltage to get a typical current. So in that case 20 / 230 = ~87mA

A 5A socket is good for loads up to 5 x 230 = 1150W

Reply to
John Rumm

It will *probably* be fused at 5A or 6A if connected to the lighting circuit, although it could be much higher. (I can't remember what the fusing limit is for a BS546 5A socket - a BS546 2A socket can be on a circuit fused at up to 10A, which is the common lighting circuit protection in commercial premises.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Its 240v, so 1.2kVA. A 20w 0.15 pf load would consume 133VA, so the socket would be rated to power 9 of them. How many depends on the product pf.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On the few occasions I have seen such a set up (ie a remotely switched 5A socket not just an always live 5A socket in pre 1930s wiring) it must be worth mentioning that one of them was in Marchmont:-)

5A sockets are back in fashion at all the good rewires I do. Of course the switching is now done by the iPod and not by a switch on the wall if the customer has money to burn.
Reply to
ARW

Were there bells on springs in the kitchen so they could summon the maid?

Reply to
Graham.

My 5A light plugs are on 16A lighting rings

This the electrician assured me, is common practice, as the 16A suits the wiring.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One ought to get into the habit of using the nominal 230V for calculations IMHO.

Since the OPs total load - keeping things simple - is a fraction of an amp, there seemed little point over doing it.

Reply to
John Rumm