13 pin 12v trailer socket - standard parts?

A while back I didn't secure the caravan properly and tested the break away cable. It worked, and the caravan stopped, but the 13 pin plug pulled straight out of the socket on the towbar with consequent damage to the plastic surround.

A bit of gaffer tape and it has more or less held together until yesterday when my 7 <-> 13 pin adapter pulled out whilst in use.

I rush ordered a Ring replacement socket, but now that I've taken the Westfalia socket out in preparation I find that the wiring is a central plug which clips into the outer housing.

Asking now if anyone knows it this is a standard setup and outers and inners from different manufacturers are compatible, or do I end up trying to source a Westfalia outer to save rewiring the inner?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In my experience, they aren't all the same. I damage a 13 pin socket and tried to just fit the 'outer' part (the bit that was damaged) to discover the locating lugs were different. Of course, they 'mate', it is the assembly bits that are the problem. Of course, you may be lucky and find the ones you have are the same.

Your post is timely, I need to buy a spare socket for my 'spares kit'- I knew there was something I'd missed!

(I'm a motorhomer, we tow a trailer with a Smart Car.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

I tried replacimng the wiring on a small trailer recently. There are some s**te sockets out there. Dont buy the cheapest

Reply to
billyorange007