Hobs & Pans

Thinking of using stainless steel pans on a ceramic glass hob. No problems there are there? Randomly searched sites seem to think it's ok, but I can't help wondering how a shiny pan base would work with a infrared heating element.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, my wife has been using stainless steet pans on the ceramic hob that was here when we moved here getting on for 3 years ago now and has had no problems.

A shiny pan would reflect heat on any gas or radiant hob - infra red is no different - but I've never heard of anybody saying you shouldn't use them and, let's face it, there's a helluva lot about and still on sale!

As a matter of interest, have you looked at the base of these pans? In my (limited) experience the base is usually matt or textured, even if you can see your face in the top!

AFAIK, it is only induction hobs that are fussy about the type of pans you use.

Reply to
Terry Casey

A considerable proportion of more recent pans are marked to show suitability for various hobs. But I doubt there is a problem.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Modern hobs and oven controls. I was chatting to somebody who, like myself is visually impaired and she told me that what you are on about is the least of her worries modern kitchen equipment is now no longer useable due to it being touch button or screen with just subtle bleeps and no actual tactile feedback as to what has been turned on and how much. I'd have thought this alone would be a danger since how would you know what had been set? I do think before companies throw a bucket load of cuel tech at a product they should think about their user base and safety aspects of their actions. Washing machines etc are going down a similar route. Nobody seems to think these things through. After all in your case it is true that efficiency seems not to be discussed with those sort of hobs, and indeed in a lot of cases the whole surface is smooth and only visually marked as to the boundaries of the heating.

Its a bit like this trend of designing shopping centres where cars bikes and people all mix together, the net result is that older or disabled vote to not go there any more. As a matter of interest, who do they design modern appliances for exactly?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually you make the point very well in my follow up post about stupid design. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I van assure teh OP that having used tehse for years, they work very very well indeed as long as they are thick based with integral aluminium or copper heat spreaders

The hobs are less infra red than direct conduction heaters, so getting good contact TO the ceramic and spreading it is key.

FWIW I have replaced the Stellar 1000 set the ex half inched with an identical set.

That and le Creuset or similar cast iron kit are all that goes on top..

Ihave no 'non stick pans becase my experience is they do stick, and then they all peel when tiy try and get the stuck shit off.

At lesast with cast iron you can take abrasives to it, re season it and it's like new...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.i

Dad used to have his own Iron Pan so Mother could not object to his treatment of it which after a 14 hour or more day split between his building business and the farm could be pretty brutal in the desire for a quick late meal.

About once or twice a year it went into the shed and was brought back to clean metal by one of this groups favourite tools, the angle grinder fitted with a flap wheel abrasive disc. Saved pissing about with scotchbrite etc.

GH

Reply to
Marland

When mine is a bit crusty I just get it really hot for a while and then scrape off the charcoal, before seasoning it again. Normal clean is a rub over with salt and a bit of newspaper. The same with baking trays. Just be sure to disable any smoke detectors within range of the kitchen.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Agreed. It's like the dark grey on black labelling of controls on media devices, and hiding the labels for control buttons round the side of the TV where you can't get to see them without a struggle. Anything so that it looks slick from the front.

Reply to
newshound

Heat up the hob, put your head on it with the pan on top, report back if you can still see it shining.

HTH ;-)

Reply to
Jim K..

What? No freshly hawked phlegm?