2 pin shuttered electrical socket belgium

I am trying to put back a 2 pin plug into a European socket (Belgium). The live and neutral seem to be shuttered and the earth is a round pin that com es out of the socket. I have applied some force to the plug but I can't get the 2 pin plug to go back in to the socket. Is there a knack?

Ta

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

I suspect your plug has 4.8mm diameter pins and your socket has 4.0mm diameter holes. It seems a bit of a mess - I have two very similar 'euro adaptors' in my drawer with different diameter pins. I don't know why.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I thought the larger pins were UK two pin (BS 4573), rather than Europlug.

Scott

Is this a Europlug or the traditional French CEE 7/6 2-pin plug?

20plug.png?dl=0

or

Black Europlug on the left will fit - just apply pressure so that pins open the socket shutters.

Traditional white French CEE 7/6 2-pin plug on the right will NOT fit French earthed sockets with the protruding earth pin because there is no way for the pin to enter the plug: thus the plug cannot enter the socket.

Reply to
Terry Casey

You have checked that you have the plug the right way up so the earth pin has a hole to go into in the plug?

Reply to
Chris Green

One is a UK Shaver adaptor?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Any standard 16A european socket should accomodate 4.8mm diameter pins.

Only the special slim-line 2-pin socket designed solely to accept the 2.5A Europlug will have smaller holes.

If you have connectors with different pins, note the spacing should alter so the the extreme outside edge spacing of both pins is the same.

If you look at the thin pin adaptors you have, you will almost certainly find that those with thinner pins are rated at 6A max whilst those with 4.8mm pins will be rated at 10A (but could be 13A, if designed with decent contacts).

Reply to
Terry Casey

Should. I'm sure that's true, but sometimes these fiendish Europeans don't adhere to someone else's standards.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Who is the 'someone else' to whom you refer?

Who on earth are you suggesting wrote the European standards if it wasn't the Europeans?

I'm trying to visualise the situation where folk all over Europe are buying new products fitted with the European standard moulded CEE 7/7 plug and finding they don't fit their European non-standard sockets!

Reply to
Terry Casey