2 pin mains electrical adapters.

Electric razors can have two pin plugs. I remember having adapters so that two of these plugs could be used together with one socket, but that was some time ago in a property that did not have 13amp sockets.

I have tried searching for these adapters but alas they might even predate google, they only appear if I include the word "vintage" in the search!

Are new versions of such adapters still available?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Do you actually need it to fit a round two pin socket? These are essentially for Euro plugs but I have found a shaver plug fits if all you have is square pin socket.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I don't know if a BS4573 shaver plug fits in a Europlug socket, but there's this kind of thing:

Ah, here:
says they don't fit. Although maybe you'll be lucky with a flexible enough example?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks for the suggestion. Using the 2 pin Euro plugs could be the answer as I could no doubt put one on the end of cable.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Some of those adaptors were included in international adaptors you could buy on the high street. A bit dodgy in my opinion, but they did work. I guess one could make one out of bits bought abroad, but the current rating on these sockets can be an issue and some of them seem to have isolation transformers in them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I assume that a single socket in a 13A plug would be of no use?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I am wondering about having two devices connected to the shaver socket in my bathroom. At the moment I just use it for an electric toothbrush but I may also want to charge a water flosser.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Just a thought. Is it dual voltage with two sockets and would one of your devices run on 110 volts? I don't know whether both sockets are supposed to be used at the same time though.

Reply to
Scott

I thought this would work but, at least on our shaver socket, if you plug something into one socket the shutters on the other one are locked.

Reply to
Chris Green

I may be a bit out-of-date, but...

There were all sorts of 2-pin multi-adapters - a long time ago. At one time a common form was a BC adapter put in series with a light bulb - and with two unswitched, 2-pin outlets either side. The question is would these be legal to use today? They are - were - unshuttered. And in a bathroom, too?

I know that you're talking of use downstream of a shaver adapter - which should give some protection - but think about any claim you, or your survivor, might make on an insurance policy before you do any bathroom-electrics diy. And that's before any Class P considerations.

If your household doesn't have a second shaver outlet, why not get one professionally installed? Or just charge one or both other-than in the bathroom - via travel adaptors?

Alternately, why not take up a new regime, charging one during the day, the other during the night? You'd have to be one hell of a flosser if a

50% charging regime didn't work out !

And keep an eye on the shaver adapter temperature. I've met some not person-enough to take a 24-hour load.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

I agree. Bear in mind that, for one example, only relatively recent MK bathroom shaver adaptors even indicate they are suitable for one measly electric toothbrush. I doubt any are certified for a double load - though some might work, at least for a while.

I'd take the hit and charge the toothbrush somewhere else. Many of us do for various reasons. E.g. having two electric toothbrushes, a razor, etc.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

YMMV but my shaver only needs charging once a fortnight and the toothbrush is similar so it would be rare for both to be desperately in need of charging at the same time.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

The one illustrated certainly wouldn't do for what you want. That's for use in an old 15 amp 2 pin socket. Each outlet on the adapter will accept either a 15 amp or 5 amp 2 pin plug. The old 5 amp plugs were similar to a modern shaver plug but sufficiently different for them not to fit.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Not been following so apologies if this is not relevant.. I have in my hand a square pin 13 amp fused plug fitted with a 2 pin shuttered socket which accepts my 2 pin tooth brush and battery shaver chargers.

SHAD Masterplug

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I thought shavers sold in the UK were fitted with UK two pin plugs and those sold in other parts of Europe were fitted with europlugs.

Reply to
Scott