liquid sander

one of the jobs i dont enjoy is sanding down woodwork and radiators, so i was interested to see a liquid sander which just says apply with a cloth and leave for 30 mins.

has anyone tried this stuff?

Reply to
benpost

benpost wrote in

Yep - as long as the surface is good and all you are wanting to do is provide a key for the fresh coat of paint. If the surface isn't good enough to take the new paint then, I'm afraid, it's back to sanding.

Liquid Sander seems to temporarily soften the surface of the old paint - I'd suggest using gloves if you don't want to soften the surface of your fingers.

Reply to
PeterMcC

Complete waste of time IME

Reply to
stuart noble

The liquid sander or the gloves?

Reply to
Sapient Fridge

the interesting thing was there was no mention of wearing gloves on the instructions, i looked twice but all it said was apply with a cloth or sponge

Reply to
benpost

I use International Easy Sand quite a lot and find it works well - a bit like sugar soap plus fine sandpaper combined. But mainly outside, in places where I can hose the stuff off - it can be a bit tedious to remove with a damp cloth, especially if there are intricate mouldings.

Reply to
rrh

It's a fine abrasive which has the effect of polishing the surface rather than providing a key.

Reply to
stuart noble

so pretty much like sugar soap then but a bit stronger!

when these things say rinse off (eg sugar soap) that just means wipe with a damp cloth right?

Reply to
benpost

benpost wrote in

That's why I mentioned it - perhaps there is no problem with it but getting something that softens paint on your hands doesn't seem to be that good an idea.

Reply to
PeterMcC