drywall sanding w/ power sander

Hi, I'm at a point with my basement finishing and I've seen some sanders that have a dust collection system on them like the Makita Finishing Sander. I'm wondering if I can save time from the hand cramping, dust builder, and shoulder breaking of manual sanding. Has anyone any recommendations. DP

Reply to
DanMan

Hmmm...wouldn't the amount of dust depend on the amount of mud that is NOW on the sheetrock....?

Maybe different in your part of the country, but you'd be hard pressed to get a pro taping crew in to finish up a job like that here in so.cali.

Reply to
GLT

Whenever someone says they did their own taping, I usually ask if they will need to sand it. The answer tends to be yes.

The next question from me asks if they want to borrow a belt sander.

DanG

Wow! What a mess! And wear breathing apparatus ! Use DW screen on a block on a stick extension. It won't take that long.

Reply to
Steve Kachaylo

If anyone is that good with a 6" blade, I hope he's not getting paid by the hour. Minimize sanding; yes. Wet sanding; maybe. Eliminate sanding; dunno.

Reply to
Steve Kachaylo

I've Never seen a job that didn't require "some" sanding, usually knocking down ridges, and a light feathering....wet sanding..? The only time you don't need to sand is if there's to be a Textered surface..

Reply to
GLT