Useless piece of junk

Anyone buying a mitre clamp at screwme in particular this one...

't as its only usefull as a doorstop. When you get the two pieces of mitred timber lighned up perfect in the vice then offer up the clamp to keep the mitred corners from seperating they do just that...seperate the mitered join.

My mitred cuts are spot on and the above vice is s**te!

Reply to
George

Indeed - my mitre clamps have two sets of jaws which clamp inwards. Guess the designer of this thing worked for B&O.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had my doubts about it when I seen it out the box and guessed the clamps needed to pull rather than push,so yes it is wrongly designed. Hey! up screwme if ya in the shadows of the group this will be winging your way back to the store for a refund.

Reply to
George

Thought so...this one is properly designed.

George

I used to use sections of inner tube to clamp up small frames. Works like a big rubber band and allows you to adjust the mitres individually without losing the pressure.

Reply to
stuart noble

Trouble is, tubeless tyres made tubes redundant :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Bang & Olufsen !

Freudian slip ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Mary Fisher explained :

Bicycle inner tubes?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I just use a series of sash cramps (and any necessary adjustment from a tourniquet (ISTR aka a Spanish windlass) to correct any skew).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No - deliberate. Design over technology.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was doing rather a lot of them at the time. Ulmia mitre clips are excellent for production work, but the inner tubes came in handy for non

90 degree joints e.g. on 6 sided frames.
Reply to
stuart noble

This is how I do it without any mitre clamps or inner tubes. Don't know what posssesed me to buy a mitre clamp? think I'll stick to my old way of stapling together for the glue to set. Normally the frames are stapled on the back as its the part thats not seen but in this case the canvas covering will hide them on the front and back.

George

Heavens! Does anyone still use those?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Errr, yes, on my bicycle (what I have just got off having cycled to work and thus feeling virtuous and endorphined :o) ).

I believe they are still the norm for keeping the tyres up! I even have a puncture repair kit or two (and use them).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

=================================== Have you tried 'Slime' in your tubes? It *nearly* eliminates the need for a puncture repair kit. A spare tube is definitely required, because failure with a 'Slime' equipped tube usually means it's terminal.

As far as tubeless tyres are concerned, the cost is enough to put most people off buying and they usually require special rims at extra cost.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

We used to use inner tubes on our touring bikes (and mended lots of punctures) but tubeless on the racing ones. We've only used tubeless for a long time. Don't race any more of course :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No as I would never mend a tube on the roadside, just carry a spare, doing the mend back home and I can't be arsed filling the tyres with slime!

Indeed. I have never knowingly been associated with one!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

There's posh. Never knowlingly touched a tubeless bicycle tyre (racing not my thing by a long way!)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I'm sure you must do things I've never done :-) Horses for courses, I spent too much time in the rain, wind and/or snow replacing or repairing tubes. Life's too short.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, I had one handed in to Lost Property today.

Owain

Reply to
Owain