Lighting Incompatibility?

Gentlemen,

Is there some reason why one cannot have flourescent tubes and LED floodlamps running off a common supply? I have found that when paralelling up the LED floodlamps with flouro tubes, the tubes no longer work; don't even try to start-up, despite the fact that have full mains voltage connected to them. The LEDs OTOH, are totally fine. Anyone else had this experience?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don't see how this might be an issue as long as there is nothing really outlandinish about the load then it should just work. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Works fine for me.

I have found that when

Reply to
Fred

What do you mean by "paralleling"? Aren't all lights (and everything else connected to the mains "paralleled"? Perhaps there's something funny about the common supply.

Reply to
Max Demian

I just meant to make it clear I'd not connected them in series, that's all.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Worse. I have weird interactions between dimmers, banks of LEDS and incandescents..where dimming one bank starts another bank flickering. I conclude there is some sort of HF hash being put out...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah right....

Reply to
jon

maybe you need eggs and baking powder with the Flouro tubes

Reply to
F Murtz

Oh! Well, if it can happen to YOU it can happen to the best of us, I guess. I suppose it's time to bite the bullet and dump ALL the remaining tubes and embrace greener tech for once! The old fluos turned out to be 2400mm long - much longer than the 6' they'd appeared from floor level. Perhaps maintaining a discharge over that distance is a more precarious undertaking than with the more common, shorter tube lengths usually encountered.:-/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Or buy better quality 'grow lamps'

Reply to
Andrew

Oh I see what all these odd remarks are about now. No, this is in relation to my earlier thread about replacing the workshop tubes as they'd grown dim over time. Don't need "grow lamps" where I am anyway.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

LED tubes are not quite as efficient as a good fluoro (sp!) but they don't flicker as badly and the light quality is softer and more even across the spectrum And they don't contain mercury.

And you can even get plug in replacement tubes

The Natural Philosopher

Er.... LEDs less efficient than fluoro?? Are we being lied to by TPTB about that as well?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

typical LED 806 lumen lamp under 7 watts

I'd say that's a "no"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just a pet peeve, was drummed into us, not flour.

Reply to
F Murtz

There's actually a web page that explains the *multiple* types of LED tube products, and how to get the best from them. Type A. Type B. Type C. Type D=A+B ?

With a chart like this, you can see that one product, touts

140 lumens per watt. The industry does not place a premium on providing efficiency information, so that chart might be all that you get in the way of hints. What it does mean, is if you shop around, you might find a good one.

(
)

Removing the ballast, and not using Type A, would be a start.

Type A ? Easiest Installation

LED Tube with Integrated Driver ? Compatible and Operated on Existing LFL Ballast

Type B ? Simplest Total System

Ballast Bypass LED Tube ? Wired to Mains

Type C ? Best Performance

LED Tube with Remote Driver

*******

Page 32 Comparison of three lighting solutions.

energy regular T8 280320 LED Tube on Ballast output 183960 LED Tube, bypass to mains 157680

There's no number for the remote driver case.

The LED tube has a firing angle of 160 degrees and does not rely on the reflector returning the "back light".

LED versus CFL.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Wow! An unusually comprehensive answer for this group! Thanks.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The really big industrial tubes ere I think around 15%, the compacts much less - 7% -compared with LEDS at 10% IIRC.and incandescent at 1%.

But I haven't looked recently, LEDS may be getting a bit better

as I recall there wasn't much in it between LED and fluoro and LED light is simply nicer, and the tubes are like for like replaceable...And dont contain mercury or sharp glass...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually if you look carefully fluoros are in the 60-70l/With LEDS in the 50-60l/W range so the fluoros have a slight edge, but its not worth getting excited about - lighting perception is logarithmic and you wont notice the difference.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote: `

They get better on shelves more slowly than they do in research labs ...

Reply to
Andy Burns