Light fitting to batten

When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the plasterboard ceiling.
On 07/12/2016 17:34, ss wrote:

I don't know the regulatory position, but if you slip while changing a bulb you could do a lot more damage with the latter method.
Cheers
--
Clive

On 07/12/2016 18:01, Clive Arthur wrote:

No law stating not to use plasterboard ... but I would never fit anything direct to plasterboard. Put a noggin across between joists.
If you can't get at above ... drill a hole slip in a 10" length of batten and screw through plasterboard into that ... sandwiches board and spreads load.
On 07/12/2016 18:27, rick wrote:

I think he said there's very little headroom. So, fixing a noggin to the joists would be very awkward.
On 07/12/2016 17:34, ss wrote:

This is in your bedroom. Do you swing from the chandelier?
I suspect that lots of ceiling roses are just screwed into the plasterboard.

Depends on how heavy it is.
On 07/12/2016 18:34, John wrote:

I will try first if space allows to fit to joists, otherwise a batten to the topside of plasterboard.
Bog standard light fitting nothing elaborate.
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 20:09:42 UTC, ss wrote:

I cant see any need. Good plasterboard plugs should be fine.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Until someone pulls the light.
On 07/12/2016 22:50, DerbyBorn wrote:

That's why I asked if he swings from teh chandeliers. Apparently not.
On 12/7/2016 10:50 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:

Then the plugs pull out. So what? I *am* assuming it isn't a fan/light weighing 10 kg.

batten

More concerned about the board breaking.
On 07/12/2016 20:09, ss wrote:

If you're concerned about loading the plasterboard and have enough access to reach the space above but not enough headroom to screw in a noggin you could try fabricating a loose noggin the same height as the joists with an extra and longer piece of timber screwed on top of it which will rest on top of the joists. When you screw the light fitting through the plasterboard to the noggin any loads should be carried on the top of the adjoining joists. It might be a two person job to get the first screw started, one in the loft to hold the noggin down and another below to drive in the screw.
--
Mike Clarke

On 08/12/2016 13:05, Mike Clarke wrote:

Weight, in total with lightbulb about 300 grams.
Thanks again for all the suggestions it will now be done one way or the other.
On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 13:05:39 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:

In an awkward place under the first floor I cleaned the crud and dust off the top of the plasterboard and glued a piece of floorboard to it for the full space between the joists. From below I could easily put in screws and drill bigger holes - these modern gunks are very useful. I've also cut a piece of board, put a batten at each end and screwed horizontally through that into the joists - probably andle chandelier-swinging.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Thursday, 8 December 2016 13:05:41 UTC, Mike Clarke wrote:

Or just feed a stick of wood in through a small hole and screw to its centre. The wood, if not too bendy, spreads the load over a wide area of plasterboard.
NT
On 08/12/2016 13:05, Mike Clarke wrote:

In the past I have used plywood between the joists and above plasterboard or above suspect lath/ plaster and held from moving upwards with some scrap pieces of wood wedged between the joists (in one case glued with a grab adhesive - no more nails)
Then when fitting light roses or light fittings drill a pilot hole up through the pasterboard and plywood and use a slightly longer screw.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk