Drilling down internal wall from loft

I'm attempting to feed some low voltage cabling down an internal wall, I've managed to get a some 22mm holes in the cavity but I'm unable to see any n oggins clearly. It looks like it could be plaster dust but it feels a lot t ougher than that. I'm not sure what's down there (picture:

I've tried with a couple of hex extensions and the spade bit which I drille d through the top plate with but it locks up my cordless drill.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Humza

I had this problem, I needed 40mm holes through the noggins across the cavity, I found a five foot long bit of steel gas barrel, smashed a rag bolt into the drill end, put a forstner bit in the other end and cut and bent the end of the gas barrel to grip on the openings in the forstner bit, used a GBFO mains drill to grip the threaded bit of the rag bolt and at the slowest speed drilled through the obstructions, I had previously used a vacuum with a piece of plastic conduit as a nozzle to clean out the dust and crap from the top of the noggin and set up an led torch so I could see down the cavity. A long slog, but it worked.

Reply to
MrCheerful

One method is to locate the noggins by tapping the wall. Then cut out a sma ll section of the PB across the noggin a few inches either side of it. Dril l either at a very shallow angle or notch the noggin after you have passed the cable through and capped it with a metal cable protector replace the sm all section of PB and fill and make good.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I think this would be my own preferred method especially no I have a "Multitool" which should leave a perfectly sized patch to be glued back into the hole.

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Worth knowing currently. Ta!