Lidl taps ..

Our (hot) kitchen tap has started leaking - well weeping more like - when a bath is being run.

It's a 1/4 turn mixer jobbie. About 10 years old, so I suspect the ceramic valve is going.

I removed the cartridge, wrote all the numbers down, and then shelved the project due to the myriad of suppliers, and the fact that even with the 26

  • letters and numbers on the thing, there was no way to ensure getting the correct part.

Sunday, popping into Lidl, noticed they had a kitchen mixer tap for £19.99. Given I was looking at replacing 2 cartridges (hot & cold) at c. £20 a pop, this is a bargain. So I took the last one.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Having bought two of them, Aldi's are fine too.

Wasn't too impressed with an 'Ernesto' kitchen tap from Lidl - it leaked around the tap/lever.

Decided to give them a second go with a bath/shower mixer, but didn't get the chance - it was 15cm between centres. My bath taps are 18cm.

Reply to
RJH

Whilst you may be right, I think its a bit early to conclude its a bargain. (It all depends on how well they last compared to other at the same price or more expensive alternatives)

Reply to
CB

Will you be able to get replacement cartridges for the Lidl/Aldi ones in a few years time when they need replacing?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Very probably. They won't be making their own taps and whoever is, isn't gonna design a tap that uses a unique cartridge when there is a plethora to choose from already.

Doing an image search for replacement ceramic cartridges is probably the easiest way to find a replacement for an unknown tap.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A lot of taps these days are designed for high pressure systems and don't perform on low pressure hot water.

Reply to
David Lang

Do any new houses have header tanks and low-pressure hot water? My 1985 vintage house had a header tank joined onto the hot water cylinder; my 2000 vintage house had a pressurised hot water cylinder fed directly from the rising main. I'm not sure how typical either was of the usual practice at the relevant time.

Reply to
NY

*shrug*

at £20 for a complete tap, I could have bought two for less than a single pair of replacement cartridges. Given the quoted (and experienced) 10 year life, that seems one of my lesser worries.

Reply to
Jethro_uk