Cheap taps?

Are cheap taps worth it? Want to replace faulty tap on bathroom basin, but don't want to spend a load, as in a year or two's time I'll replace the whole suite in there anyway.

For example:

third one down for £13.55 looks fine, but seems very cheap. Am I likely to have much joy in this price range in terms of them not seizing up within a year!?

al

I replaced taps three years ago with something similar from B+Q never had any problems since. You will probably want to replace both unless you don't mind odd taps in the interim.

Reply to
BeeJay

Same situation I was in recently. I used these

@ £5:95 the pair.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Are there any taps with 20 year guarantees - for example?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

> the third one down for £13.55 looks fine, but seems very cheap. Am I

I don't think cheap taps are worth it at all.

Our predecessors in our house went to all the trouble of refitting all of the bathrooms etc, and then only to put the cheapest taps in on the face of the earth. Which of course not only look crap but are a pain to use.

It's the one thing that you're using all the time and decent ones don't cost that much more.

Screwfix do some taps with ceramic washers. I'd be curious to know how effective they are?

Reply to
RedOnRed

I've a bad experience with a cheap mixer tap that a builder put in our kitchen. But then there's more to go wrong with them. Were the regrettable taps in question simple ones for you or mixers?

al

Usually quarter-turn ceramic-lined taps are OK, so easy to use.

Just letting the OP and readers know that from Thurs 19th, LiDL are specially selling 4 types of mixer tap priced from £8 to £10 less a penny, as mentioned in their in-store bump I picked up today! Advance Info is not on-line just yet.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

Mixer taps, they didn't fit anything that luxurious!

No, they just fitted contract type taps which are shown on David Lang's link above for Toolstation.

Reply to
RedOnRed

OH NO. NOT THE 4 YORKSHIREMEN AGAIN!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

We used to dream of taps............

Dave

Reply to
david lang

As a Sales Agent I have sold loads of cheap taps over many years. I honestly have not had many returned as faulty. It always amazes me that manufacturers, (mostly Chinese at the moment), can manufacture something at these prices. I sell a Chromed Manual Shower Mixer to Merchants for =A319. Sold thousands of them and never had one returned faulty.

Reply to
Merryterry

It took me 5 attempts to get 2 matching " designer" taps from Ideal standard. and took over two weeks to sort with my local wholesaler.............all sorts of problems brass showing through chrome scratches different tap actions

and a connection design that by its very nature distorted the braided flying lead as you did it up...in itself leading to 5 pairs needing to be supplied. They looked great...but bad design combined with apalling quality control amazed me ..............these taps retailed at well over £150 each !

Barry

Reply to
Barry

"Merryterry" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... As a Sales Agent I have sold loads of cheap taps over many years. I honestly have not had many returned as faulty. It always amazes me that manufacturers, (mostly Chinese at the moment), can manufacture something at these prices. I sell a Chromed Manual Shower Mixer to Merchants for £19. Sold thousands of them and never had one returned faulty.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel