Lidl right angle drill

18v generally *are* lithium using 18650/21700 cells
Reply to
Andy Burns

Ages ago I bought a Lidl hammer drill, jigsaw and circular saw sharing the same 18v Lithium battery. And a couple of spare batteries. They're fine - although the circular saw eats batteries. but fine for occasional use.

of course Lidl have moved on to 20v now, for their larger stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Dunno why we stopped calling them a hammer drill. Leaving impact driver for what is actually an impact driver.

Noticed you've not answered that. Lidl have offered a 3 year money back option for a long time.

But it sounds like your battery was at fault.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

20v is just 18v+marketing (i.e full charged vs nominal voltage)

there are some manufacturers that use an extra cell for 22v

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah - right. Sadly (but common with Lidl) different battery fittings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

(for the google tape, M'lud

Parkside Cordless Angle Drill 12V - PWBSA 12 A1 Charger - PLGK 12 A2 2Ah Battery - PAPK 12 A3 4Ah Battery - PAPK 12 B3 )

Me too :)

Incidently, How many contacts are inside the well of the charger?

The case looks like it was manufactured to originally hold three marked (+), (C-) and (-). However in mine, seems the (-) contact is missing?

plus charger and 2AH battery. Seems nicely made and

A long time ago I lusted after the right angle drill we had in the company engineering workshop, this now seems to fulfil my requirements - I can scratch owning such a thing off my bucket list, and look forward to praising it when I'm knee deep in chaos one day, if the grim reaper doesn't get me first...

However the need for a RA drill is a bit niche.

In Lidl, I had a quick spin of the standard cordless 12V drill they were offering (unusual for then to have an unboxed one on demo), and to be fair that model is generally more useful for most folks, is lighter and has hammer (I think/hope) and torque control.

The all metal chuck is appreciated, though they could have made it in Chineseium. Notably there is no country of manufacture mentioned anywhere. Just "designed in Germany" - I wonder when?

These are motors still made with brushes?

Surely the brushless technology has been out there long enough and is cheap, so should be ubiquitous? I own Makita LXT brushless tools as well

- They are much lighter and have better comparable run times. But their bodies cost about 6 times more, which I'm not paying for their RA version...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Just picked up one of these too, seems sensible to run my review together with Adrian's.

It does not have a hammer setting. It's clearly designed for light carpentry, kitchen cabinets, etc. It does have torque control, although I have to confess that this is something I use very seldom now that most drills have pretty good electronic speed control at the trigger. I guess I might use it if, for example, I had to fix a "visible" plywood panel with a relatively large number of screws.

It is (like the angle drill) heavy and feels solidly made. Havn't actually used the chuck yet.

A really nice feature is that the keyless chuck detaches quickly and easily (via a ball-lock) to expose a standard magnetic hex socket. It comes with a box containing a number of hex drivers (although these are plated and look cheap) and also a set of twist drills for wood.

Another nice touch is that there are little ledges each side of the body backed up with a magnet, that will each secure a hex drive bit securely. Handy if you need to keep swapping where access is limited.

The 2AH battery is pretty small so not sure about its effective life. They didn't have any 4's on display today.

Adrian's right, it still has brushes. My speculation is that there are still manufacturing lines over there that used to manufacture motors for "big names", so they are keeping capital plant working by turning out lower cost motors.

I suspect that, like the angle drill, it will get less use than my combi drill or impact driver, but it could well be handy for things like whipping the back off washing machines, some of which have a tedious number of screws.

Reply to
newshound

Brushed motors are cheaper than brushless, and are may be found on 'brushless' tools.

Reply to
Animal

Not really. I bought mine (a mains one) to drill a hole in an awkward spot in my already built kit-car. That is a bit niche. However, it has been used a number of times to drill holes for cables or pipes, through joists that are too close together to fit any of my other drills. It has also been used to drive screws in the bottom of shelves, where an existing shelf is close.

On occasion, it has simply been used when my battery drill has been flat, as it is lighter and the speed is much more controllable than the other two mains drills (a hammer drill and a SDS drill).

Presumably the simplicity and commonness of brushed motors makes them the cheapest option.

Reply to
Steve Walker