Right Angle Drill Powered by Regular Batteries?

I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

I dont know of any power tool that has or had alkaline batteries and none that I know of that uses normal batteries, what ever normal batteries may be.

Nickel-Metal Hydride is about as basic and old technology s you are going to find available today.

I would be shocked to learn of a worthwhile drill that runs on non rechargable or throw away batteries.

I have had this drill since the mid 80's. It needed a new battery 10 years ago, so I hear you on wanting something that is going to waste away.

also a corded right angle drill.

Leon

What about getting hold of a second-hand one from somewhere, ideally with a knackered battery, and cobbling together a new battery pack made from these Sanyo Eneloop type rechargeables that hold their charge for a long time? I think they have a NiMH chemistry, but have a long shelf life.

Reply to
David Paste

How about a slightly different solution?

to the right angle driver, you'd add a quick change chuck with a hex shaft.

Reply to
Upscale

In this day and age you're unlikely to find one that is not part of some manufacturer's tool system. The battery doesn't have to be lithium to be proprietary though--every major manufacturer had proprietary nicad or nimh batteries long before lithium.

You don't say what it has to do. How big a hole does it have to drill and in what? There are all sorts of right angle solutions, but without more information it's difficult to suggest one that is appropriate to your needs.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I went ahead and picked up one of these thanks.

This tool will be used to drill in electrical faceplates in tight spaces as well as tighten screws on door knobs.

I'd be nervous about stripping the knob set screw. When I'm concerned about torque I like to use a hand tool. Smaller, simpler and more versatile is better. I use one of those little stubby ratchet sets, similar this:

's nicer, smaller and comes in a little vinyl kit - think it's automotive, but I don't have it on hand to check out the brand. The things are great - there's no way you'd be faster and surer with a power tool...certainly not cheaper and arguably more versatile.

RicodJour

Try eBay.

-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I found LI didn't like my shop. Can't freeze them or cook them in the summer.

Got two for Christmas - the one I kept in the house runs nice. The wrench I got for a shop machine - died. Not replaceable without dissemble actions. I might look at finding a replacement battery of some sort.

Mart> >> I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

battery when you need to use it.

Reply to
clare

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:00:56 -0600, Upscale wrote (in article ):

I love this unit:

Bruce

I missed the wrap on that URL and couldn't find the RA accessory. A tinyurl would have worked. OMG, what am I saying? Jaquez will be offended.

Max

Reply to
Max

:

colon usually helps avoid the wrap.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Robatoy

Only at a preview, Maxxy Baby. That and spaces in filenames.

Oh, and the use of "try and", "there's many", "a myriad of", "tempacher", "for my wife and I", and a few others. ;)

-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

the boost you get from Looseners! Loooooooooooooo-snerrrrrrrz! Castor Oil Flakes.

-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Geez, Lar, could you make a list for me. I hate to offend anyone.....................unintentionally.

Max (by the way, it's "Maxie", not Maxxy) sheesh.

Reply to
Max

Google Angle drill attachment. Several here. Harbor Freight has one for $19.99 Part # 92188. Did your homework for you. ww

Reply to
WW

Cheap plastic chinese crap - but would work for the OP's purposes (basically a light duty screwdriver)

Reply to
clare