LG Direct Drive Washing Machine Problem

Hello!

I have been given an LG Direct Drive washing machine, model number WM-14225FD

Although the drum turns freely (It will turn for a good 6 seconds if i turn it round hard with the door open) when the motor tries to turn it, it doesn't turn, instead it makes a kind of squealing noise.

If I take the back off and get it spinning just before it tries to turn the drum, it will continue to rotate, but it makes a right racket.

Here is a 2MB video demonstrating it turning clockwise (as you look at it from the back) when helped at first, then it trying to turn it the other way, but just squealing.

are two cables that connect to the motor assembly, one is the actual motor (three wires) and the other is connected to a sensor, that when disconnected, makes the machine behave in the same way, thus I suspect this is the problem - but what does it make such a lot of noise?

Any input is appreciated :-)

Reply to
Toby

We have Is the machine displaying an error code? ISTR reading somewhere about issues with sensor/motor wiring..

There is a basic service manual for a simlilar model here:

be useful for basic description and error codes - they seem to be fairly similar across several models.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

D'oh! Linked to wrong file, that one has a normal motor.

I've got a service manual pdf for one of the direct drive ones (WM3434H) which has basic motor testing listed.

It's 4.82Mb if you want me to Email it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Thanks for the offer - I spoke to LG, who offered to sell me the hall sensor for £15 plus postage, I ordered it yesterday, and it turned up this morning in the post - fitted, and jobs a goodun :-)

Reply to
Toby