LG Washer ready for takeoff

I have a four year old LG washer and dryer pair installed in a walk-in closet. Both have performed well since new. They are used to wash and dry roughly two loads per week over those four years.

Recently, the noise made by the washer during its spin cycle has increased from "surprisingly quiet" to very loud. As others have said in various online posts, it sounds like a jet taking off (except lower frequency than the whine of a jet). To me, it sounds like the bearing has failed, but with only four years of moderate use, it seems way too early for that type of failure. All other functions are normal. I have read posts from others with the same issue on LG's website, but the answer is always "We can't disgnose this remotely. Please call service".

This thing is a real bear to work on because it is in a tight space in a leak proof pan with the dryer mounted on top of it. In other words, it is not condusive to trial and error diagnosing. Is anyone familar with these things? Could there be a simple fix without first uninstalling and then disassembling the whole thing?

LG Model WM2501HVA

Thanks, Pat

Reply to
Pat

Hi, My first thing check is drum rollers.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks Oren. The video at the above site was very useful. Unfortunately, it took the expert 40 minutes of video to change the bearings and he had the ability to stop the camera and skip repetitive steps. There was also a lot of "be careful" warnings about breaking plastic parts while hammering the bearing out and back in. I normally don't shy away from repairs, but this thing scares me. I am amazed at the number of assemblies that must be removed to change the bearings (the top, the front panel, many electrical connectors, the motor, many hoses, shocks, springs, gaskets, clips, etc.). I will guess the expert took at least 3 hours to do it after already knowing how. It would take me all day.

I think I need to look into a new washer. Is four years the expected lifespan of these new appliances? Pat

Reply to
Pat

I have found that the cost of the parts and the amount of time it takes for many of the appliance repairs I am beter off just getting a new one. If it is very simple and the parts are cheep I will attempt a repair, but for much I just get a new one now. Especially if I am going to have to pay someone to do the repair.

About 50 years ago my dad repaired items for an appliance store. Then the pay was not that much and the cost of new ones was high, now it has turned around. High labor and parts, new apliance not that much in many cases.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On 11/13/2014 1:32 PM, Pat wrote: ...

If it really is the bearings, and you're talking trashing the whole thing anyway, what's lost in the attempt other than a little time?

Bearings would in all likelihood be available open stock; wouldn't think should be more than $10/ea online from appliance repair places.

If it doesn't go well, _then_ there's still the new one...

Reply to
dpb

Hi, Tried to find a bearing with good genuine quality? Look at where they are made nowadays. I am not sold on front load laundry pair yet, not easy to repair DIY. One time I looked into a high end washer by Miel, it was more electronics with ASICs than mechanics. Hardly anything to touch for repair but replace costing an arm and leg, LOL!.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 11/13/2014 3:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote: ...

Yes, I replace quite a number of bearings every year. Only _very_ rarely are there not over-the-counter replacements available thru the local bearing distributorship. I've not had quality problems with any irrespective of the point of manufacture.

Reply to
dpb

Funny you should mention Timken. My washer with the likely bad bearing lives just a few miles from their headquarters. I still haven't decided to do anything. I hate the thought of disrupting my house for days to remove the dryer and then the washer from the closet and then disassemble the entire washer just to get to the bearing in question. The thing is still working so I can procrastinate for a while longer. (I was hoping someone would tell me about a secret panel that could be removed in a few minutes to check for a errant sock wrapped around a shaft. No such luck.)

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Sorry. I just got here. I read your OP. Download and run

It should take care of everything.

If not, set the Spin speed to "very very slow".

Reply to
micky

Had, still have Amana Front Load Washer Loud Jet noise when in normal wash, but regular sound when on Gentle Wash... Turned out the be Actuator Arm that held onto Washing Drum, and goes through two bearings then outside to a pulley, belt and connected to electric motor. Somehow the metal just disintegrated and lost hold of the drum, slowly.. And thus the Bearings went from the vibration that increased, slowly To the point of a loud whirling noise similar to a small jet And now the parts to replace are no longer made The drum makes a cool fire burning pit! Motor brought me 35 bucks off craigslist

Reply to
Phill B

Oren posted for all of us...

That video reminded me that the airplane industry had a huge problem with counterfeit parts. Then there are the vehicle airbags which is still a major deal. Especially since Takata seems to make bad shit... Wonder what the specs and who wrote them were on these? Trouble is when one needs these items to function there is not a Plan B available.

Reply to
Tekkie®