Honeywell 2 port valve problem

Hi, I just wondered if anyone knows the answer to this one?

I have a 4043H1056 valve that does not automatically shut when power is removed. The spring return seems to have failed. - Does this require a whole new valve unit, or can just the actuator be replaced? I mean is the spring part of the valve, or part of the drop on actuator block?

( Because the vavle does not close, the pump is always on and boiler is always on due to the micro switch I guess? ).

Also, the manual lever on the valve does not seem to grab anything. There is no resistance for moving it, and it just stays without the need for locking. (and does not close the valve either).

Thanks,

Andy (Very hot because he can't turn his central heating off if he wants hot water) ;-)

Reply to
Andy Morris

In article 4090cb35$0$15751$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com, Andy Morris at new snipped-for-privacy@NO-SPAMmozza.com wrote on 29/4/04 10:30:

You can buy a replacement "head" for this from a plumbers' merchant or heating supplies shop.

It's quite easy to replace it with no risk of water loss - take the cover off and there are two screws holding the head to the valve body. Check that the valve itself hasn't jammed before you go shopping, if it has then you will need to change the whole thing :-(

Since the valve is already wide open there's nothing for it to do.

Reply to
Derryck Croker

Thanks a lot for a very quick response !

Reply to
Andy Morris

It's more likely, but not definitely the valve base. Try taking the head off and checking rotation of the motor - let it run electrically, not with a screwdriver in the slot.

Then try turning the cam of the valve base. It should turn reasonably easily.

For a replacement, it is sometimes cheaper to buy the entire thing than one piece.

Don't forget that if you are draining that the system needs inhibitor when refilling.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Morris used his keyboard to write :

The head (actuator) can be replaced by itself, this is a fairly common failure. The actuator will be fixed on the valve by a couple of screws and from past experience, it is likely that removing it from the valve will allow it to spring return to its proper location.

It should be possible to turn the valve spindle fairly easily with just your fingers, as a check that the valve is not the cause of the problem.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Andy Morris writes

It depends on the age of the actuator. On some older (Honeywell) ones you cannot remove the actuator head, on the newer ones you can.

Once the spring has gone soft, there's not much you can do with the actuator head.

Reply to
geoff

This indicates the valve is not even starting to close since the microswitch only makes in the last degrees of travel. Possibly the contacts have welded.

That's normal when the valve is open.

Since the microswitch is not opening I would suspect stiction in a rotating part (motor or valve) rather than the spring going soft. If you get the actuator head off the valve should rotate freely.

Alan

Reply to
Alan James