Warning: Corgi 2 port actuator

I need a replacement actuator head for a Honeywell 2 port zone valve so was interested to find a pattern replacement at Toolstation:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p38858
The Corgi brand name did put me off but I thought I'd try it. On inspection it is as rough as bollocks, sharp edges on all the metalwork, including the manual actuator lever (nasty). The manual action is also suspect, the original Honeywells all have similar opposition to movement as the teeth on the manual actuator mesh with and turn the regular synchronous motor actuator, and on release, the return of the lever is damped by the motor action. On the Corgi, the manual actuator meshes on activation but fails to maintain contact with the cogs on release resulting in a grating between the cogs as it slips and disengages contact.
On this basis I can't recommend it for installation, pay an extra tenner for the original part.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:54:41 +0000, fred wrote:

Toolstation used to do a 'Tower' brand generic head but this looks different. Of course it's only badge engineering but it's an interesting reflection on CORGI that they should try to exploit their reputation with the public by putting their name to what must be, at best, fairly meh bits of kit.
--
John Stumbles

Sent from my Spectrum with the RAM-pack held on by blu-tack

I think it's all they have left . . . .
As an update, I thought I'd wire it up to check the motor driven operation and it's fookd, cogs slip under motor drive too so it going back. I'll let you know if the replacement fares any better.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Alas no and I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Thank you for the education, many valves fitted but no heads changed. That was indeed the problem and basic tests show it is operating correctly. Apologies to Corgi for the faulty information but comments on sharp edges remain.
Thanks again.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

erm .... As CORGI is a long defunct entity I was under the impression "they"don;t have a reputation anymore? Just numerous shady shysters happily allowing gullible punters to believe they do by putting "corgi" all over anything?
Jim K
On 19/12/2012 19:13, Jim K wrote:

Well the name is still well known even if they no longer have the government sponsored accreditation gig...
(gov apparently did not realise they did not have the rights to the name and thought they could shift it to them that are now Gas Safe)

Presumably the dodgy shysters would actually need to be CORGI to use their trade mark since they still exist as a legal entity and hence could defend their trade mark.
--
Cheers,

John.

mm ok the official shyster (singular) then:-
https://www.corgihomeplan.co.uk/aboutus.asp in Dunfermline http://www.corgi-direct.com/contact in Basingstoke http://www.corgiservices.com/ in Basingstoke http://www.corgi-insurance.co.uk/contact.html in Godalming http://www.corgiapproved.com/ in Silchester http://www.corgimembers.com/ also in Silchester etc
quote "the name your customers trust" sums it up to me ;>)
Jim K
On 18/12/2012 21:54, fred wrote:

On the subject of pattern parts, I noticed these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22-28-2-or-3-Port-Motorised-Zone-Valve-Actuator-Heads-Replacement-For-Honeywell-/280874124804?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item4165670604
No idea what they are like... anyone tried one?
--
Cheers,

John.

What was wrong with the original? In my (limited) experience it's the motor itself that fails and it's easily obtainable for about 7-10.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

It's the cogs that have worn out so it's a complete replacement. One of my reasons for being not being a fan Honeywell's enforced proportional thermostatic control with multiple cycles per hour, it's wearing out my controls prematurely.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:56:56 +0000, fred wrote:

Danfoss kit has the abilty to turn the valve knakering proportional control off, in fact the instructsions tell you that doing so is adviseable on systems with zone valves.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes, there are a few that are switchable, inc Siemens. I'm about to install a Salus RT500 and an RT300 as a trial to see if they'll do, they're non proportional and definitely budget end but if I fully implement one room per zone then I'll be needing quite a few.
Such a shame as the Honeywells are so easy to set/use.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .