A good tip for chilling drinks quickly

Works for cans and bottles, but would probably work for other stuff too
Just wrap the can or bottle in *wet* tissue or bog roll, and put in fridge (or leave outside in this weather). 15-20 minutes later it's gone from room temperature to ice cold.
Works a treat!
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Ice cubes and loads of salt - 5 mins.
CO2 fire extinguisher - 30 seconds :)
Yes - it was a Myth Busters - but the ice+salt works - I demoed that to the sprogs...
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

Never tried that, I might do now!
I keep taking cans of drink upstairs & forgetting about them but leaving them outside on the window sill in wet paper does the trick when I can't be arsed to go back down to get a cold one.

If you did that in a Hotpint 'Frost Free' Fridge Freezer you'd end up with a drink the temperature of freshly brewed tea.
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 23:10:34 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

Was that typo deliberate?
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

No, and despite you mentioning it I had to reread it a few times to find it.

I would like to have been a fly on the wall at the board meeting when they argued that Hotpoint was a suitable brand for a refrigerator.
I have always thought Cold Shield was a poor choice for DG, I see the logic of course, but it would be better for the name to reflect the warmth that's kept in.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Why? Do you think someone would have been stupid enough to argue that they should market refrigerators under a new brand (which no one would know) rather than use the Hotpoint brand which was known and trusted because they were good electric irons?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid
On 19/12/2012 11:27, Robin wrote:

They could have done something like invent an associated brand - e.g. Coldpoint. Close enough to highlight they are the same company but without sounding so utterly ridiculous when taken literally.
--
Rod

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:43:29 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Ha, I'd rather have a fridge that was cold inside all over than just at one point in space and/or time. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.

And washing machines would have been wetpoint? Dryers drypoint?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

On 19/12/2012 12:51, mogga wrote:

GoodPoint.
--
Rod

Is the church?

What's your point?
--
bert

Fish.

<shrug> Sure, why not? If you'd grown up with it, you wouldn't even think twice about it. Potato - now there's a thing to conjure with.

As it turned out you would have been right but it might have been considered risky at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

I wonder if ever occured to them that people might [still] be reading Hotpoint as "hot point" by the time they started to sell fridges. IIRC my parents - from the generation when fridges first became common in the UK - never read it as "hot point"; for them it was just a brand of irons, toasters etc. Indeed, I don't think I read it that way or knew why the firm was called Hotpoint until I toured their old factory in West London. But perhaps that just goes to show my stupidity is possibly inherited :(
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid
On 19/12/2012 12:34, Robin wrote:

Well you forced me to go off and find out why they called themselves Hotpoint. I might have asked myself why a few times over the years, but had never before looked it up.
--
Rod

I also demonstrated my stupidity is (almost?) unlimited as it was *Hoover* in West London. So where the flipping heck was I told about the "hot point" USP?