Window based AC unit that can run at very cold outside temps? Seeking solns to a heat issue...

I have a small office, with alot of computer equipment.. I'm trying to come up with a way to get the overall temp down by say 10 degrees, without breaking the bank or getting involved in major construction changes..

The room is probably 12x12 or so.. I've found some space coolers, but they only cool a 4'x4' area..

I found another space cooler that did a whole room, but it was $459.

The only other option i can think of is the window unit.. but in the winter, from what i recall.. these tended to "freeze" up naturally...

These days are there any window units that can be run year round essentially.. actually.. if i could find one that would monitor the temp of the room and shut off at a given setting this would be awesome..

Our work has a Mr. Slim on the ceiling, but that is overkill for my home needs and probably super expensive.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

Reply to
markm75

Your best bet may be a window fan rather than a air conditioner this time of year. You may still need to buy a window unit when the weather warms up.

Steve

Reply to
stephenburke72

I can't see your room from here, but could you punch a hole in the wall near the ceiling and install an exhaust fan? Drawing hot air from the top of the room would draw cooler air in, either from another hole near the bottom of the wall or even a small vent to the outside. Assuming it's at least 10 degrees cooler outside the room than inside, that might help you reach your goal.

Regarding an outside vent...

When I was in the service in Alaska, our rooms had four ~1" holes drilled in the window sash just above the sill. Each hole had a wooden cork in it. Even without a fan in the room, just removing the cork would allow enough cold air in to make a significant difference, especially when it was 20 - 30 below zero.

Many of us had styrofoam lined boxes, just big enough to hold a few cans or bottles, mounted to the window sill. On the coldest days I could take a few beers off the shelf, put them in the window box, and by the time I changed into my civvies, the beers would be ice cold.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How hot does it get in the room?

How about just turning off the heat vent in the room, and installing a ceiling fan? That may do enough to reduce the perception of it being too hot.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you are thinking window unit why not just open it for fresh air , and turn off suplied heat

Reply to
ransley

It gets up to 82 degrees in there.. i've actually closed off the heat vents.. i could open the window, but i'd have to do some configuring for burglary proofing etc.. i'd prefer the automated solution if one existed... perhaps the hole in the wall may work, but i'm not very adept at that..

Reply to
markm75

It gets up to 82 degrees in there.. i've actually closed off the heat vents.. i could open the window, but i'd have to do some configuring for burglary proofing etc.. i'd prefer the automated solution if one existed... perhaps the hole in the wall may work, but i'm not very adept at that.. ===============

How about a simple window fan?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hire a contractor or find a friend to install the fan for you. If you're looking at a few hundred or so for an AC, put that money towards having someone put the fan in for you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can buy small fans that would take up only a portion of the window. Mount it into a wood frame and it can then be secured for safety. At 82, it is just warm and if cold outside you'd only need a small air exchange to get down to the 60's.

Your room is about 1150 cubic feet. Get a fan that moves 100 cfm and you have a complete air change every 10 minutes or so. A bathroom ventilator can do that or a small box fan from the discount store.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski