What freezer for garage

We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a freezer in it. One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.
Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either upright freezers or fridges in their garages.
Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.
Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.
Thanks

Beko still make freezers that can be used outside in an unheated garage/shed. Many other makes require the room to be kept at about 15 deg C minimum. It always seems perverse that when you go away on holiday in winter you have to keep the heating on low to keep warm an object that is designed to keep things cold.
Fridge/freezers tend to be more fussy than dedicated fridges or dedicated freezers. I think this is partly because they often economise by only having one thermostat and one compressor (or at least no valves to direct refrigerant to just the freezer or just the fridge, according to separate thermostats) and they assume that if the temperature in the fridge is kept constant, the temperature in the freezer will also be correct as long as the proportion of refrigerant to each part is correct.
On Monday, 10 December 2018 10:35:42 UTC, NY wrote:

+1 fwiw. Most will not work in cold weather.

yes, so avoid freeze fridgers for garage use.
NT
On 10/12/2018 10:34, NY wrote:

Yep - I've had a Beko freezer for about 10 years now, bought for putting in the cellar (less to run there too). No problems - but not as cold as you're expecting. Very rarely gets to freezing - mostly 5-15C.
--
Cheers, Rob

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:34:52 +0000, NY wrote:

Or at least 10oC. We put an additional fridge in the garage for when lots of visitors. but the damned thing stops working during the winter months, because of ignorance at the time of the new 'green' coolant that requires a warmer room to work...
--
/\/\aurice (Retired in E.Hants)
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:39:17 +0000, I wrote:

Should say "fridge/freezer"
--
/\/\aurice
On 10/12/2018 10:34, NY wrote:

I have lived in happy ignorance of this problem. If the temperature falls to low for my fridge/freezer to work would it use corresponding less electricity?
--
Michael Chare

Yes, but the freezer contents would probably melt.
Tim

yes, but not enough to stop the contents of the freezer starting tothaw.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 11/12/2018 13:12, charles wrote:

It does appear to be more of a problem for appliance with only one thermostat. I will find out next week, I will be away from home but I will know the temperature and the house power consumption.
--
Michael Chare

On Tuesday, 11 December 2018 12:20:49 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:

When the compressor runs it doesn't cool, so the thermostat keeps asking for more compressor running. Maybe someone else will explain what the refrigerant does and how it affects the compressor.
NT
On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:

It is at least partly true. The working fluids in a lot of modern fridges and freezers are predicated on them being installed in a centrally heated house. You have to chose a freezer that is designed to operate in an ambient temperature typical of a garage in midwinter.
My brother in laws upright freezer failed spectacularly one cold winter when the garage got down to about 2C. Cold enough to stop it working entirely and warm enough that stuff thawed and refroze making a mess.
You need to read the rating plate carefully and know what it means since they encode the working range in a peculiar way. I have posted before on how to interpret the ratings plate.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If it doubt, specify to the salesman that you need to use it in an unheated garage and that it must be suitable.
Hope you manage to find what you are looking for. When we were looking to replace a freezer that thawed in the same dramatic way as yours, the salesman in one shop was most unhelpful and claimed that no-one makes freezers like that any more - why would *anyone* want a freezer anywhere else than in a nice warm kitchen?
On Monday, 10 December 2018 11:43:35 UTC, NY wrote:

expecting a salesman to understand anything is optimistic. Sadly the national standard of retail salesmen is poor.
On 10/12/2018 11:43, NY wrote:

I recall once asking a salesman in an electric goods shop the difference in functionality between two models which looked to me superficially the same but for radically different prices. His answer "the model number".
Thank heavens for the internet where you can do your own research.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 11/12/2018 15:24, Martin Brown wrote:

Overheard a shopper ask the Tesco fishmonger (well, dressed as one) 'What's the best way to cook this'. Reply: 'However you like'.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 11/12/2018 16:11, RJH wrote:

That's all right if the shopper wants to know whether to fry, bake, steam, grill, poach &c.
I think s/he meant to ask, "*How* should I cook this fish?"
You've got to ask the right question.
--
Max Demian

It's rather like the people who, invited to answer a technical question about an item on Amazon, reply along the lines of "I haven't the slightest Ides" or "I don't know because mine was broken and I sent it back" not realising the answers are only wanted from people who at least believe that they know. Clearly the shop assistant should have answered that he or she didn't normally work there and unfortunately didn't have a recommendation.
--

Roger Hayter

On 11/12/2018 17:47, Max Demian wrote:

If she bought it in Sainsburys it would be supplied in a special package that can just be popped in a microwave. Printed on the back are the cooking times needed for various species of fish, plus conventional cooking times.
On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:

I have two Beko upright freezers in a shed. They have been OK even when it was -9C outside. They are intended for low ambient temps; down to -15C.
https://www.beko.co.uk/appliances/refrigerators/freezers
If you really thought there might be a problem why not add a froststat and a 100W greenhouse heater? Stand the heater behind the freezer.
Bill