OT Aldi Mechanical Timeswitch problem.

Aldi have had a pack of 3 on sale recently and they may still be in some stores, like many such mechanical switches they use a ring of rotating segments which work a switch in a cam action with the on position set by pushing the segments inwards

Purchased a pack and today did a dry run on a LED light string purchased last year in a closing down sale. They run from a USB plug and as the only USB power supply capable of suppling the 9 watts required I had to hand was a 12 Watt I Pad one I used that. Plugged in at 1600 with the segments for that time depressed in the on position and through to 23.00.

At 23.30 I noticed the lights were still on and went to investigate. Found the clearance from the segments in their raised off position was so tight they fouled on the apex of the charger and so stopped the dial turning. It is now running again but slightly noisy , it will end up in the shed so no problem.

Just thought I?d mention it in case anyone else has purchased a set and don?t notice how close the dial is to the socket part, I expect a few similar power supplies or wall warts may foul the dial as well.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I also hate these socket bars where the sockets are so close many wall warts plugged in make the adjacent sockets unusable. If only mains devices were on a couple of foot of cable we could do away with this nonsense. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes.

Yes. My lounge christmas lights have the same problem. There's a sweet spot where the wall wart is pushed in far enough but not too far. And they are noisy.

The same timeswitch is on sale in Asda under the Status brand at about the same price for 1 as Aldi charge for 3.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

so make one wider spaced. Double sockets are cheap enough.

Yes, the nonsense of reducing costs. We all want to pay more for the same result.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Slightly relevant but I purchased a digital timer switch from Lidl recently.10 on and 10 off programmes.16 programme combinations. 12 or24 hr display (Silver Crest) So far it has worked flawlessly. It is set to switch on @ 08.00 and off @ 16.15 Mon to Fri. P.I.T.A. to set up as the script on the display screen is really tiny but I persevered.

Reply to
fred

I had a pile of digital timers but gave them away to the local charity shop as they were a PITA to set the time with the small screens, I used to dread when the day light savings had to be programmed. I have now gone completely smart socket and changes are a doddle on the iPad and not having to even get out of the sofa, Alexa handles any temporary changes and I can even switch things on/off away from home.

Somewhat smug Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's a bit early for Xmas lights IMHO-;)

But then I have only done two village greens, two pubs and one shopping centre so far.

Reply to
ARW

Not "The Partridge" & "The Pear Tree" by any chance?

Reply to
Jim K..