OT Garage freezer

Our Beko freezer has been in the garage for 15 years, so looking for a new, more economical one. I'm confused.

They've changed the energy rating system so they are all F rated in the new system. Are they all the same?

I understood that freezers that stand essentially outside had to be special sorts, hence the Beko. Now the data sheets say they are only suitable down to 10 C although the blurb on most of them says they can be used down to -15 C.

Can someone enlighten me?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Some are E. (And of course variations within the letters.)

Some are still OK down to -15. Look for those with "Freezer Guard".

Reply to
Robin

Or just saying "Suitable for outbuildings" in the write-up.

I think that, unfortunately, the EU standard is for 10°C and so they all say that they are suitable for it in the certification, without saying that they are fine for much lower, for the ones that are.

I took to downloading manuals and checking there when I was buying.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I agree that's the best way to check but I see Beko still have on their site what we found a good starting point when buying for ancient relative:

Robin

Thanks all. New freezer on its way (in two weeks!).

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

You can decode it from the ratings plate based on what the working fluid is. I have previously posted a link to this but I can't find it on GG.

This is the least bad reference I can find at the moment:

Units that will be happy in a garage are becoming increasingly rare.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It is naive in the extreme that manufacturers think that all freezers will be kept in a heated room such as a kitchen. We have a couple of "overflow freezers" which are kept in the garage: one for long-term storage of things like joints of meat which are only needed occasionally (unlike bags of frozen veg, chips etc which are needed fairly frequently). We made sure we bought Beko freezers that were advertised as being suitable for outhouses. We also have a non-outside-rated freezer in the kitchen for things that are needed frequently.

The outside freezers are plugged into a smart switch that does energy monitoring, and I have a little program on my RasPi which plots a graph of the energy usage against time. We monitor this every day to look for anomalies in the graph - and it has saved our freezer contents when a previous freezer started running continuously (ie not switching on and off according to thermostat) because the refrigerant had leaked out.

Reply to
NY