What freezer for garage

On 10/12/2018 15:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Wot Bill sez.
My sister had an ordinary domestic freezer in the garage which stopped working when the first winter came along. No damage done: it just used ambient room temperature as a reference point for its freezing operation and couldn't make sense of its surroundings. A localised, low power heater solved her problem.
Nick

But it makes a lot more sense to get a Beko which doesn’t need that.
On 10/12/2018 15:59, Nick Odell wrote:

My Liebherr fridge freezer has a low temp button next to the internal light, which it keeps on at half power sufficiently to make the thermostat think it is getting too warm.
On 10/12/2018 15:34, Bill Wright wrote:

I saw that beko upright freezers were the only ones suitable for a garage. I did a bit of googling as well and it confirms what other people have said on this thread. Now I am not concerned about the temp getting down to -9C with a Beko freezer in the garage.
Its a heat pump and there needs to be temperature difference, however one of the big problems is that domestic mechanical devices are not tested to cope with large swings in temperature, the high heat of summer and the intense cold of winter and all the implications of condensation etc. I do not really see the difference in form factored, its probably got more to do with the design specs. Brian
--
----- --
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:15:58 +0000, RobH wrote:

Another vote for Beko - we now have two under cover outside. Bought one, won the other on Freegle.
If you want a fridge/freezer make sure that it has two independent compressors - one for the fridge and the other for the freezer. A single shared compressor leads to the freezer defrosting below (IIRC) 4C. BTDTBTTS.
Cheers
Dave R

On 11/12/2018 13:46, David wrote:

That does depend upon the design. Our fridge-freezer some years ago had only a single compressor. It used the entirely logical idea of only cooling the freezer section. The fridge was cooled with a fan and a motorised flap circulating air from the fridge, through the freezer and back into the fridge. Obviously if the ambient temperature fell too low, the fridge would need no cooling, so the flap would remain closed and the fan off, but the compressor would still cool the freezer as normal.
SteveW

I didn't think anyone had made those for decades. It used to be a speciality of Hotpoint, back when Hotpoint was part of GEC and was a real manuafacturer in the UK. They had a range for use in unheated homes/rooms with separate compressors, which were slightly more expensive than their standard models. (I bought one, as it predated me installing central heating.)

It goes wrong well above 4C. I've tried a few and freezer temperature is not maintained correctly at 12C.
This should not be an issue for a freezer only, but there are other problems with running freezers outside the specified temperature range.

--
Andrew Gabriel

We needed one for our garage. As you probably know, normal domestic ones aren’t suitable for ambient temp found in garages etc. However, we found a John Lewis Chest freezer which was specified for outbuilding use. When middle daughter wanted an upright freezer for her garage, John Lewis came up trumps again. Both own brand, good warranty, delivery, price etc.
We had an old one which lasted years first in a shed in our previous house then in the garage in current house. We bought it in about 1990. We replaced it with the JL one last year or so. While it still worked, the seal had failed. As I recall, it cost about £90 in 1990. I can’t recall the brand, I suspect Tricity.