What freezer for garage

That's all right if the shopper wants to know whether to fry, bake, steam, grill, poach &c.

I think s/he meant to ask, "*How* should I cook this fish?"

You've got to ask the right question.

Reply to
Max Demian

It's rather like the people who, invited to answer a technical question about an item on Amazon, reply along the lines of "I haven't the slightest Ides" or "I don't know because mine was broken and I sent it back" not realising the answers are only wanted from people who at least believe that they know. Clearly the shop assistant should have answered that he or she didn't normally work there and unfortunately didn't have a recommendation.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That does depend upon the design. Our fridge-freezer some years ago had only a single compressor. It used the entirely logical idea of only cooling the freezer section. The fridge was cooled with a fan and a motorised flap circulating air from the fridge, through the freezer and back into the fridge. Obviously if the ambient temperature fell too low, the fridge would need no cooling, so the flap would remain closed and the fan off, but the compressor would still cool the freezer as normal.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If she bought it in Sainsburys it would be supplied in a special package that can just be popped in a microwave. Printed on the back are the cooking times needed for various species of fish, plus conventional cooking times.

Reply to
Andrew

My Liebherr fridge freezer has a low temp button next to the internal light, which it keeps on at half power sufficiently to make the thermostat think it is getting too warm.

Reply to
Andrew

It does appear to be more of a problem for appliance with only one thermostat. I will find out next week, I will be away from home but I will know the temperature and the house power consumption.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I didn't think anyone had made those for decades. It used to be a speciality of Hotpoint, back when Hotpoint was part of GEC and was a real manuafacturer in the UK. They had a range for use in unheated homes/rooms with separate compressors, which were slightly more expensive than their standard models. (I bought one, as it predated me installing central heating.)

It goes wrong well above 4C. I've tried a few and freezer temperature is not maintained correctly at 12C.

This should not be an issue for a freezer only, but there are other problems with running freezers outside the specified temperature range.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We needed one for our garage. As you probably know, normal domestic ones aren?t suitable for ambient temp found in garages etc. However, we found a John Lewis Chest freezer which was specified for outbuilding use. When middle daughter wanted an upright freezer for her garage, John Lewis came up trumps again. Both own brand, good warranty, delivery, price etc.

We had an old one which lasted years first in a shed in our previous house then in the garage in current house. We bought it in about 1990. We replaced it with the JL one last year or so. While it still worked, the seal had failed. As I recall, it cost about £90 in 1990. I can?t recall the brand, I suspect Tricity.

Reply to
Brian Reay