Re: Freezer question, your experience.

Smitty Two wrote:

It never pumps air out to begin with sounds more realistic
NT

Just buy the cheapest one. The compressor will be knackered in six years anyway. All compressors are rubbish these days. {Unless you want to pay for commercial}
Mr Pounder

Yes, warmer air can hold more moisture than colder air. I believe I already typed that.

Unless the cellar is deep underground, cellars still will be warmer in summer and colder in winter. The more moisture in the room ambient, the more moisture will enter the freezer when the lid id opened.

Surely you don't mean what you wrote.
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:44:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I was wondering about that myself. I also wonder why someone would insist on a chest freezer.
Lou

I've always wondered that too -- or, more specifically, why anyone would even consider a chest freezer. That large flat area is such a tempting place to set all kinds of crap on top of...
On 06/01/10 19:00, Doug Miller wrote:

The cold doesn't leak out when you open the door.

And you think that's a bad thing? Invest in one of those nice sturdy chrome rolling shelf units -- when you need something in the freezer just roll it away. If that won't fit around the freezer, hang shelves or cabinets above it.
Horizontal space should NEVER be wasted.
--
Cheers, Bev

That's basically irrelevant. You *might* lose five to ten cubic feet of cold air when opening an upright freezer -- let's call it ten. Ten cubic feet of air has a mass of around one pound. That's not going to make any noticeable difference in the temperature inside, unless you *leave* the door open.

Makes it kinda hard to open the lid.

Or just get an upright freezer.

Which of course is yet another reason for *not* getting a chest freezer: it takes up twice as much floor space as an upright.
On 06/02/10 06:42, Doug Miller wrote:

Frugal people automatically consider efficiency and waste, no matter how tiny or trivial. We may decide to ignore it, but if everything else is equal there's no point in NOT wasting something.

That's what my mom did, for convenience. She filled any excess space with jugs of water.

You're right. If I ever buy a freezer (possibly around the time that it will no longer be needed because hell has frozen over) I'll get an upright. You can stack LOTS of crap on an upright...
--
Cheers, Bev
---------------------------------------

That's just silly.

They'd have to be mounted pretty high to allow clearance for the door. Do you recommend climbing on top the freezer to get to the cabinets? I'm not going to look up freezer specs but it doesn't sound like a useful setup.
Lou
Miller) wrote:

When you take something out, its a place to work on food items. It does consume more floor space.
greg
GregS wrote

I prefer to have adequate bench space in the kitchen for that.

So in practice that isnt likely to be much use even if you are very short of bench space.

MORE efficient. All I know are not self defrosting, more efficiency, and less drying out of food. Also flavor transfer.
greg
(GregS) wrote:

I have always complained about self defrosting, fan driven stuff. And its always seems to be in the defrost mode when I am putting warmer food in from the store. it should never go on defrost during wakeing hours. the time should be able to be set by the user. Like 3 AM for instance. I have measure temps of the 45 minuite defrost cycle and they rise pretty high, and ice cream is always softer after this occurs. If your kids are going in and out on a warm day during a defrost cycle, you beter watch out.
greg
GregS wrote

Only trivially. The amount of air involved is trivial.

Plenty of upright freezers are too.

Only marginally.

Thats a myth.
Particularly if the freezer is in the kitchen and thats by far the most convenient place to have it, a vertical freezer is much more convenient to use and takes up less floor space and is well worth the trivially lower efficence that you get becaue the air falls out when you open the door.

Nearly all the air drops out of an upright. The thing is, air has little mass. Its the foods mass which stores the absence of heat. But, if you keep opening the door, it matters.

Wrong. The circulation fan is the main cause. I know by use. The old refridgerators have less effect on partially closed containers. Its hard to seal a lot of them. I think it may have somthing to do with the ziploc bags in my freezer expanding. They all fill up with air over time, and I keep letting the air out. IS THIS MAGIC ?? Most of what i say about the refridgerator/freezer subject is from direct experiance.

The ideal system is a separate freezer and fridge in the kitchen, and also a walk in pantry. One TV show, Chef at Home, has these features with an otherwise normal looking medium sized kitchen. Nice. I wish. At least I have 2 microwaves and two turbo ovens and a regular oven, there.
GregS wrote

Yes, but thats very little mass, even with an empty freezer.

Not really, because even with say 10 door openings, the mass of air thats lost is trivial compared with the mass of whats in the freezer.

Nope.
There isnt necessarily any circulation fan at all. None of my upright freezers have any circulation fan at all.
And even with a fan, that uses very little energy.

You clearly dont.

Thats just the circulation of the air effect.
Plenty of upright freezers have no circulation fan, none of mine have one.

Its completely trivial to seal them all.

Mine dont. I put the meat in the bags when the meat is wet and the meat sticks to the plastic and they dont expand.

Nope, just evidence that a ziplock isnt a perfect seal.
There are alternatives to ziplock bags.

But you dont understand the basics, or even that plenty of upright freezers have no fans or self defrost either. None of mine have either.

Yes, that is what I have, but separate doors isnt that much worse and has some advantages efficiency wise, two less external surfaces.

I prefer a different approach myself, one wall covered with shelves.
Even very large pull out wheeled shelves a bit like books in a bookshelf has some advantages too.

I dont care what it looks like, what I care about is how well it works.

Sounds like overkill.

Dry out and flavor, is my concern both refridgerator and freezer. I have not run into any self defrosting unit without a fan. We are talking about self defrosting.
greg
GregS wrote

Yes, but thats trivially fixable. Just put the meat in plastic bags when still wet so the plastic sticks to the meat, you dont get freezer burn.
Get proper containers for the other stuff, I use glass jars that marmalade, relish etc comes in.
Get decent a frost free fridge so there never is any frost forming on the food and there is no heating of the food when auto defrosting either.

I didnt say self defrosting without a fan. I JUST said no fan. There are plenty of those.

Nope. There is also frost free.
Doug Miller wrote

Nothing wrong with what he wrote, the temperature of the cellar will indeed vary like that unless it is deep underground.