Re: Freezer question, your experience.

> > Knowing that its just not easy to get an airtight seal, the suspicion is > > that it might draw the air out but; it will creep back in again anyway. > > You could answer that question readily enough. Does the unit have a > vacuum relief valve that you activate in order to get the lid open > again? If not, then I'd say your suspicion is correct. > > Do you really need to post this to six groups? (My newsreader won't even > allow me to respond to that many, so I beheaded two of them.)

It never pumps air out to begin with sounds more realistic

NT

Reply to
NT

Just buy the cheapest one. The compressor will be knackered in six years anyway. All compressors are rubbish these days. {Unless you want to pay for commercial}

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Yes, warmer air can hold more moisture than colder air. I believe I already typed that.

Unless the cellar is deep underground, cellars still will be warmer in summer and colder in winter. The more moisture in the room ambient, the more moisture will enter the freezer when the lid id opened.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Surely you don't mean what you wrote.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I was wondering about that myself. I also wonder why someone would insist on a chest freezer.

Lou

Reply to
Lou Decruss

I've always wondered that too -- or, more specifically, why anyone would even consider a chest freezer. That large flat area is such a tempting place to set all kinds of crap on top of...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug Miller wrote

Nothing wrong with what he wrote, the temperature of the cellar will indeed vary like that unless it is deep underground.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I guess it's a question of "compared to what?" -- I took him to mean that cellars will be warmer in summer, and cooler in winter, than other parts of the house.

If he meant that the cellar is warmer in summer than the cellar is in winter, yes, that's obviously true.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The cold doesn't leak out when you open the door.

And you think that's a bad thing? Invest in one of those nice sturdy chrome rolling shelf units -- when you need something in the freezer just roll it away. If that won't fit around the freezer, hang shelves or cabinets above it.

Horizontal space should NEVER be wasted.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Doug Miller wrote

Its obvious he meant compared with those other seasons.

More fool you.

yes, that's obviously true.

And thats clearly what he meant given the context that you deleted from the quoting and I have restored.

Reply to
Rod Speed

4pint plastic jugs don;t....
Reply to
Jim K

Never had *any* size milk carton burst in the freezer.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I've only ever frozen 4 pinters (didn't want to upset the edantic police....err....)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That's basically irrelevant. You *might* lose five to ten cubic feet of cold air when opening an upright freezer -- let's call it ten. Ten cubic feet of air has a mass of around one pound. That's not going to make any noticeable difference in the temperature inside, unless you *leave* the door open.

Makes it kinda hard to open the lid.

Or just get an upright freezer.

Which of course is yet another reason for *not* getting a chest freezer: it takes up twice as much floor space as an upright.

Reply to
Doug Miller

MORE efficient. All I know are not self defrosting, more efficiency, and less drying out of food. Also flavor transfer.

greg

Reply to
GregS

The statement is perfectly true. Think about the reference temperature..

greg

Reply to
GregS

That's just silly.

They'd have to be mounted pretty high to allow clearance for the door. Do you recommend climbing on top the freezer to get to the cabinets? I'm not going to look up freezer specs but it doesn't sound like a useful setup.

Lou

Reply to
Lou Decruss

When you take something out, its a place to work on food items. It does consume more floor space.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I have always complained about self defrosting, fan driven stuff. And its always seems to be in the defrost mode when I am putting warmer food in from the store. it should never go on defrost during wakeing hours. the time should be able to be set by the user. Like 3 AM for instance. I have measure temps of the 45 minuite defrost cycle and they rise pretty high, and ice cream is always softer after this occurs. If your kids are going in and out on a warm day during a defrost cycle, you beter watch out.

greg

Reply to
GregS

GregS wrote

summer and colder in winter.

Only trivially. The amount of air involved is trivial.

Plenty of upright freezers are too.

Only marginally.

Thats a myth.

Particularly if the freezer is in the kitchen and thats by far the most convenient place to have it, a vertical freezer is much more convenient to use and takes up less floor space and is well worth the trivially lower efficence that you get becaue the air falls out when you open the door.

Reply to
Rod Speed