Cavity insulation?

I would like to have the cavities in our external walls filled with insulation. The problem is I have been told by an insulation surveyor that as the outer skin is natural stone then the inside face will be too rough to allow the insulation to spread fully. However the surveyor did tell me that he thought there was another method that could be used, but his company don't offer it. Have any of you guys heard of such a thing?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Try another installer. My late Grandads house was stone and he had cavity wall insulation fitted.

See the house below

with the branch that the camera hit:-)

HTH

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks Adam, do you know what material was used? The surveyor that called told me their material was not suitable as it does not spread due to the rough interior surface of our outer stone wall. This he said would lead to gaps which in turn create cold spots and condensation.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

No idea, sorry. And I cannot ask him now:-(

Have you tried asking on uk.d-i-y as I know that some regular posters on there used to install cavity wall insulation.

Best I can do mate

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It depends on the exact construction of your wall, it's unusual to have random stone as the outer leaf as building control in England will seldom allow it simply because it doesn't allow penetrating water to run harmlessly down the cavity. Even if the stone is dressed on the cavity side I wouldn't have though that cavity insulation would be a good idea as any water passing through either the stone or the mortar will then have a bridging path to the inner leaf which may cause damp problems. Maybe it's possible to line the exterior walls with Thermaline wallboard as an alternative?

AJ

Reply to
AJH

------------------------------------- /^-----^\ V o o V | Y | \ Q / / - \ | \ | \ ) || (___\====

Reply to
jim5961

------------------------------------- /^-----^\ V o o V | Y | \ Q / / - \ | \ | \ ) || (___\====

Reply to
jim5961

Hum.. I bet some of you don't realise that you're using usenet.

That website seems to be copying our posts off to a website. I hope you aren't paying, because it ought to be free!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Or at least up to date:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Where did this come from? I posted that question back in May. Still looking for a solution mind.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike