B&Q Cavity Wall Insulation £198

Just wondered if anyone had got cavity wall insulation from B&Q. It's £198 for upto a 5 bedroom house.

Reply to
Slider

Not from B&q but another company. The same cost but these companies get a grant from the government.

Andy Dee

How old is your house?

Reply to
Slider

Tesco do the same deal.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Does anyone know exactly what types of wall construction can have cavity wall insulation?

I ask because I enquired to one of these companies that offer grant aided insulation. A few days later a surveyor phoned and asked a few questions about the house and said it could not be done as the house is built of sand stone. Yes the outer skin is stone but the inner skin is red brick with a cavity in between and I have seen houses like ours being treated with cavity wall fill.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

15
Reply to
Andy Dee

I've had this deal from B&Q, it was in association with British Gas and subcontracted to a local operator.

The firm that carried out the work (North Kent) were efficient and appeared to do a reasonable job - as far as one can tell with this sort of installation

John

Reply to
John

John, did they come around and perform a survey first? I have a new(ish)

2000/01 build property, which I don't think has CWI.
Reply to
Slider

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:34:16 -0000 someone who may be "Slider" wrote this:-

They all should. There wouldn't be much point sending two people and a van to somewhere without cavities to fill. The "surveyor" will drill a hole and use an endoscope to look inside the cavity.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yes, they performed a survey first, with the promise of money back if the property was not suitable. Ours was, of course - 1960's brick box.

John

Reply to
John Harris

My house is similar construction. Over the years 3 separate surveyors have said they will not fill the cavities. The walls are keyed together by a number of large stone blocks on the external wall extending through to the inner brickwork. They point out a cavity fill will allow water bridging and invalidate any guarantees etc. Annoying thing is that the central heating uses vast amounts of gas and a cavity fill would be very, very effective. The other month on offer was free cavity fills, free loft insulation and free smoke and CO alarms!. Damned Victorian stone/brick construction meant I ended up with nothing :( What price energy efficiency and global warming?. My gas runs about £300 a quarter, yet other than destroy/rebuild the house, there's nothing else I can do!.

Reply to
john jardine

Ours was built in the 1930s and when a chunk of the back wall was removed last year for an extension there was no sign of the stone blocks you mention. Our problem is the same as yours, massive gas bills and a not very warm house. The lounge is the worst, having two outside walls, an outside door, and a large bay window. See, for the type of construction.

the tall thin window under the scaffolding around to the door is the lounge. My sons bedroom is above sharing the same bay and that is also a cold room.

I am wondering if its worth trying again and actually getting a surveyor to come and look at the house this time. Most houses in Leyburn are built with rough un cut stone, many with no cavity. Ours is the only one in the town I am aware of built this way, so I wondered if the reason the last surveyor didn't bother visiting was because he assumed ours would be the same as all the others.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

If you would have ordered through quidco you would have got 6% cashback as well.

Reply to
Slider

I can't see the OP, but as you and he seem to have the same problem, I will try to explain:

If the stone in the cavity is undressed (that is to say, rough, not square, flat, smooth faced) it canot be insulated with blown fibre or rockwool because water naturally flows down the inside of the cavity when it rains - with flat walls inside and out and a filled cavity, there are no voids in the insulation that this rainwater can track across to the inside skin, so it continues downwards and into the foundations. With undressed stone, it's impossible to get a full fill, due to ridges and bulges in the stone, and where these voids are is where any water will get across.

Believe me, you definately _do not_ want CWI installing on this type of house, unless you enjoy having several types of fungus and mushroom growing out of all your walls, wallpaper and plaster falling off in sheets, and a permenant smell of rotting wood in your house - joist ends, skirting boards, door frames etc, both upstairs and down...believe me, I've seen it, I've also seen a full housing estate (in Scotland, late 80's) get taken down block by block, cavity cleaned and rebuilt at a cost of millions, so it's with good reason why they won't install it

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks Phil, that was a good explanation. If the surveyor had explained it as well as that I would have been a lot happier.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike