Edwardian house - cavity wall query

The question of insulation came up in discussion with a friend and he mentioned insulating the cavity. On my encouragement he is going to look into his roof insulation before he does anything, but what then puzzled us is that this is a brick built house (cca. 1905) but the total wall thickness is the best part of 600mm - allow say 75 to 100mm for the strapping and plasterwork, but that still leaves 400 to 500mm of brickwork and cavity which I find difficult to explain in terms of a standard 125mm brick and cavity wall.

Can anyone explain please ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I thought that a 9" solid wall was the norm then,.add a cavity of say

100mm and another 75 mm of brick and tiy are up to 350mm

Probably its got diouble brick and a big avity. take some bricks out and see..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where did you measure the thickness ? Is there wood panelling spaced out from the wall ? Go up and have a look in the loft - you may be able to look down into the cavity. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

all the window reveals are two feet wide?

I fear you've mismeasured....you may have a cavity on this house but it's just as likely to be completely solid

Reply to
Phil L

Is that the party wall? it coudl be two walls built next to each other at different times. Sometimes when the infilled a house or added one to an existing terrace they just built a 'stand'alone' house right next to the old one. if each one had 12" walls (brick and a half solid), then that would make a total of 24".

Surely they never built cavity walls in those days.

RobertL

It could be an inner stone wall with a brick exterior lining Don

Reply to
Donwill

My parent's house was built with cavity in 1902. It depends where in the country you are, exposed coastal locations tended to be the first to use them.

Reply to
<me9

There are recorded examples of cavity wall construction from 1879 in London, I still have some original drawings from 1894 showing London terraced houses built with cavities.

-
Reply to
Mark

The reason we know that it is a double brick cavity wall is that my friend had a new kitchen fitted recently and a core drill was used for the drain - two separate brick cores exist from this.

The house in question is in inland Fife.

The idea of looking in the loft is worth exploring - thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Our 1903 house has solid at the front and cavity at the back!

Reply to
Bob Eager
8> The reason we know that it is a double brick cavity wall is that my

So what length are the cores?

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar

Cavity walls start around 1880 in some windswept coastal areas, and steadily migrate across most of the country over the following

50 years.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

What!, they didn't like the smell of the salty air;?..

Reply to
tony sayer