cavity wall insulation

Maybe not quite DIY but still ...

My seat-of-the-pants measurements and observations tell me that the cavity insulation in our house could be a lot better.

The cavities are filled with small pea-sized polystyrene beads. I am far from convinced that the cavities are 'fully' filled - I guess they are originally filled from the top, so I'd take a safe bet that there are big voids under windows, fo example. And likely the beads settle - so there may be a void at the top of the cavities. I also am less than convinced of the efficiency of this type of insulation.

Has anyone got specific experience and/or comments on it ?

And a bigger question - what could I replace it with - assuming I'm willing to pay a large amount for a substantial improvement in insulation ? I think, however, that removing and re-building the outer leaf is not on the agenda, but if anyone has that experience please say so.

.... Dave

Reply to
Dave Martin

Get yourself another hobby.

Reply to
nthng2snet

since you clearly have nothing to contribute kindly take your abuse to some other place and leave this forum to the very helpful and informed people who provide excellent mutual assistance. ... D

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote:

Reply to
Dave Martin

That sounds like the system that I had installed a few houses and about 20 years ago. I recall that Shell were behind it in some way.

They certainly drilled an extensive hole pattern so as to get full coverage, and there was an adhesive sprayed in as the beads were blown into the cavity, to prevent subsequent movement.

Unless you have specific reason to doubt the integrity (been round with your Maplin infrared thermometer

instance), I should leave it alone.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's still widely used as an insulating material for cavity fill - do you not have a CIGA 25 yr guarantee for the insulation? If so, and you can show there are gaps in the fill claim on the guarantee and get it sorted.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks Chris & Alan - no I have seen no guarantee ( but I know the original owner so will ask ), and yes I think glue was used because the stuff does not come out easily ( eg when replacing windows ). But your best tip is the infrared thermometer - I'll look into that ... thanks again ... Dave

Reply to
Dave Martin