Gorilla glue never lasts

I always make sure the glue is tightly sealed yet...

Has anyone found a way to make gorilla glue last more than a couple of months before the stuff hardens or turns to a useless gel?

Reply to
AK

Have you tried refrigeration? CA glue definitely lasts a lot longer in the freezer.

12 grams for $10 is a lot more expensive that 20 grams for $8, but you might have workable glue the next time you need it.
Reply to
rbowman

Pretty much any glue/sealant/caulking, etc. starts to cure and harden once the original container is opened and the goop exposed to air-- even if you re-cap it really tight.

When I need to restock glue, I buy a few of the smallest containers on the store shelf even though the unit price is initially higher. It's cheaper in the end though-- plus you've got usable glue right when you need it in the middle of a repair ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I seal the container with a peice of plastic bag under the cap - my bottle is 2 years old or more.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thanks.

I will try the "frig" method.

The cold temp should slow down any chemical reaction.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Another good idea.

I wonder if transferring the glue to a glass container and then adding glass beads to take up the air space volume would help?

Andy

Reply to
AK

The secret is not the "cold temp".

The chemical in "Gorilla Glue" is mainly polyurethane which needs moisture to set. The fridge will deprive the chemical in the bottle the moisture it needs to set. Put it in the freezer compartment or just in the fridge. It will last forever. I have mine for over 10 years in the fridge. It will freeze solid in the freeze but it will slowly start flowing again after 15 minutes at room temperature.

Because Gorilla glue requires moisture to set, it will set faster in the presence of water. You can glue two wet wooden sticks together. Gorilla glue will set so fast in the presence of too much moisture that the glue will bubble, expand and ooze.

I figured out the fridge trick by reading the instructions on the bottle that says it requires moisture to set:

"The water activated polyurethane formula expands into materials to form an incredibly strong bond to virtually anything making Gorilla Glue your solution for almost any project or repair."

invalid unparseable

I would ask a crotchety old man I know, Abner Google, Sr.

Glue – The Dos and Don’ts

It says not to transfer. Doesn't say anything about adding glass beads to the container it's already in, but if those beads get stuck together, by semihard or even soft glue, I don't know.

Reply to
micky

There are numerous Gorilla brand adhesives -

John T.

Reply to
hubops

You are correct and the problem appears to be the plastic bottle it comes in. It is probably polyethylene which is one of the plastics most permeable to water. If the container was stored in a dry glass jar with metal lid it might last longer because glass and metal are impermeable to water.

If I were the producer I would use another plastic bottle or PE with a layer of something like ethylene/vinyl alcohol or Saran which is much less permeable.

Reply to
Frank

BTW, one of the lines from the url "you would not believe how many people forget to put the lid back on their glue after using it. "

I apply this not just to glue but to milk, spaghetti sauce, apple sauce, fruit pie, etc. When I take some out, I cover or close the container within a second or two afterwards. I'm hoping to minimize the time that spores can fall into the container, and to keep the food from spoiling. I think it works. No controlled testing but I think food can last 2 or 3 times as long.

Reply to
micky

Unlikely. Polyurethane glue is activated by H2O. A humid environment is not suitable for storage. Store it in a airtight container with an absorbant.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

But then they would sell less glue cuz it would last longer. :-)

Andy

Reply to
AK