Washing machine motor problem

I've got a siemens XLS140 washing machine. When the program starts the drum does not turn when expected. When I open the back I can see that the drive belt is intact but the motor does not turn. The motor and belt are free and the motor does not make any noise or seem like its trying to turn.
Do you think the problem is with the motor? Should I replace the whole thing or can I do somethng with the brushes? Or do you think its some other (maybe electronics) problem?
--
John

Mac wrote:

First place to look would be brushes IME. Are there carbon deposits near the brush holders?
Don't know about Siemens, but on Hotpoints they only last a couple of years with busy use.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Check the module. Probably dirty / cracked connection on the module socket. I had the same problem. Easy to repair with a bit of solder. If the module is deceased, get a compatible from an online retailer, same stuff and a third of the price of the manufacturer.

Problem may be brushes, motor, wiring, motor control module or programmer. Do a bit of fault finding or you'll waste time & money.
NT