letter slots vs boxes

Indeed they do - and today I was handed my post and flyer bundle/load of crap. But the real problem is that whatever we do about pulling our RM-delivered stuff out so the flap can close, a very short time after some other person delivers something else.

Reply to
polygonum

I go out most days and usually come back after the post has been delivered. However, I can't say I would be bothered if the post sat in the box for a day or two without being collected.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I once fitted three to the entrance hall of some flats. The client bought them from Argos - they all had the same key. He returned them & bought 3 different designs. Guess what? They all had the same key!

So, if you buy an Argos mailbox anyone can open it. I went to my local security centre & got 3 with completely locks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Certainly does, RM are the only delivers of junk mail/flyers to us. We don't get any free "news" papers, property papers, local business flyers etc. Wouldn't mind a free news paper, it would be something to light the woodburner with, the glossy flyer type stuff doesn't burn very well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the tip.

Those are called "cluster boxes" in the USA. IIRC, the postman has a key that opens either the whole back (if freestanding) or the whole top (if wall-mounted) of the cluster at one time; each flat gets a key to open one small front door.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thanks for the tip. There is a proper locksmith's firm not far from where I work, with safes, door hardware, etc. --- I'll take a look at what they have/recommend.

Reply to
Adam Funk

The fake charity bags are useful too.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I was thinking of making the house, rather than the post, more secure!

Reply to
Adam Funk

I can't help feeling that sooner or later we'll all be _required_ to have t= hose American rabbit hutches at the "curtilage". As demonstrated in a CSI s= tory, they attract yobbos with baseball bats (I suppose ours would use cric= ket bats). Of course, if they're metal...

The main problem I see with many of the boxes sold over here is that they'r= e tall and thin with a slot on the front, so anything posted through has to= be bent. Not good if you're expecting things like photographs or books.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

What are they? Not had those, as I said the only flyers/junk/"The occupier" stuff we get is via Royal Mail. We don't get any flyers or free newspapers etc delivered by anybody else(*).

(*)Not strictly true, we get flyers for village events like the fireworks display or late night opening for the Christmas Craft Fair, etc

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Plastic bags, about 20 or 30 litres, I think, labelled "put your used clothing in this bag outside and we'll collect it on Tuesday to help orphans"; the fine print usually says they'll sell the clothing and send 2% of the proceeds to orphans somewhere.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Can anyone recommend a good (sturdy & well-arranged) letter-box?

Reply to
Adam Funk

The main problem is that, unless there's an arrangement of flaps and/ or a long drop, any slot big enough to put something useful in is big enough for sticky fingers to pull it out again. The Euro standard is EN 13724:2002 =93Postal services =96 Apertures of private letter boxes and letter plates =96 Requirements and test methods=94

be extreme but if you don't want your Amazon/CPC goodies to go walkies ...

looks pretty good.

Or you could get an into-the-wall one with either a front or rear (inside) opening door.

Owain

Hinged panel in the bottom, microswitch and circuit to turn on a "You have mail" light inside the house? Webcam hooked into your network?

I'll get my coat....

Reply to
newshound

I think this is the one I fitted. Takes most postal deliveries but by Christ is it noisy when the spring closes the flap. Scares the shit out of me when I'm nodding off in front of the tele.

stuart noble