letter slots vs boxes

We're thinking of replacing the old front door, which I think is the main heat loss area in the house now, with a new "modern" one. Among other things, I'm considering switching from a letter slot in the door to a box on the wall near the door. It would be mounted on a brick wall in the entry/passage (so sheltered from rain but subject to wind). I think this would have advantages for security and reduced heat loss.
Any comments on this? Has anyone here switched from a letter slot to a box and found it a great improvement or problematic?
Thanks, Adam
On 05/12/2012 12:42, Adam Funk wrote:

heat loss - you replace a constant small draft with a full opening of the door whilst you retrieve the post from outside.

whether there's post in it or not......
Jim K

I suppose you could put a camera in the box...

On 2012-12-05, Jim K wrote:

We normally open the front door several times a day anyway. I didn't envisage making a special trip to check the box.
On 05/12/2012 13:51, Adam Funk wrote:

I love it when the local free sheet is rammed in the letter box but not pushed all the way through
On 05/12/2012 15:50, stuart noble wrote:

And the fourteen pizza flyers, two taxi cards, three curry special offers. Oh - and some real post.
--
Rod

Royal Mail opt out:
http://www.royalmail.com/you-home/controlling-your-mail
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On 05/12/2012 17:17, fred wrote:

But that only helps with things that are/would be delivered by RM - most of what I mentioned is delivered by others.
--
Rod

You might be surprised just how much crap they do deliver. The junk through our letterbox dropped dramatically when we opted out. Of course a lot depends on where you live but RM do deliver a lot of junk mail/flyers.
Tim
On 05/12/2012 19:05, Tim+ wrote:

Indeed they do - and today I was handed my post and flyer bundle/load of crap. But the real problem is that whatever we do about pulling our RM-delivered stuff out so the flap can close, a very short time after some other person delivers something else.
--
Rod

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 19:05:45 +0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Certainly does, RM are the only delivers of junk mail/flyers to us. We don't get any free "news" papers, property papers, local business flyers etc. Wouldn't mind a free news paper, it would be something to light the woodburner with, the glossy flyer type stuff doesn't burn very well.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 2012-12-05, Dave Liquorice wrote:

The fake charity bags are useful too.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:34:41 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:

What are they? Not had those, as I said the only flyers/junk/"The occupier" stuff we get is via Royal Mail. We don't get any flyers or free newspapers etc delivered by anybody else(*).
(*)Not strictly true, we get flyers for village events like the fireworks display or late night opening for the Christmas Craft Fair, etc
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 2012-12-06, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Plastic bags, about 20 or 30 litres, I think, labelled "put your used clothing in this bag outside and we'll collect it on Tuesday to help orphans"; the fine print usually says they'll sell the clothing and send 2% of the proceeds to orphans somewhere.
In article

[snip]
Whenever I get my mail, I leave an ivy leaf under the flap. *If* there is any post delivered the leaf drops and I can see there's something to collect.
John
He only gets his post in on warm wind free days?
Brian
On 05/12/2012 13:12, GB wrote:

It wouldn't occur to me to go out specially to check for mail. I would simply check the box on the way past when returning to the house from having been out.
Colin Bignell
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 16:32:57 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

And if you have no reason to go out? Or if you go out and return before the postie has been?
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 05/12/2012 16:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I go out most days and usually come back after the post has been delivered. However, I can't say I would be bothered if the post sat in the box for a day or two without being collected.
Colin Bignell