Extending Circuits

Redoing entryway to old house...the new wiring will be just all the previous electrical circuits only we've widened the entry by a couple feet so will be short just a little.
It would be a very big deal to have to try to re-pull all the way from the panel so my idea is to put a box in the closet for the splices.
Question is, is there a box w/ just landing terminals for the purpose rather than just a bunch of loose connections? My quick search didn't really find what I was thinking of. Could always mount a couple of bars in a box to make one...
For thinking about, the end result is:
A) one ganged set of four switches by the entry door -- one 4-way for yard light, one for porch light, one for the entry (hoping can figure out way to turn this into 3-way w/o needing another run from main--if not it'll just stay as is) and one 4-way for dining room.
B) light switch to closet
C) power feeds to A) and B)
Can run all new runs from those new switches to fixtures, of course, it's only the extensions to them that needs connection to the feeds...
For construction, pulled everything out of boxes leaving hooked up so and just wrapped up well and hid in the wall cavity of main structure until get new construction under roof and can open up to the main house again...that could be as early as late next week if weather cooperates.
On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 10:22:44 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Typically you just add on to the existing circuit by joining the wires in typical receptacle or switch boxes. Or you can just add a new box for a splice, use wire nuts, as long as it's accessible.
On 6/15/2019 11:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, but it's butt ugly... :(

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 1:33:00 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

What's ugly? If you can run another cable into an existing box for a receptacle or switch to tap in, it still looks like it used to. If you need to put in a new one, usually you can do that in the basement or attic.
On 6/15/2019 12:45 PM, trader_4 wrote:

As noted, the new box will be in the closet wall (not covered up, no); and yes, from outside it all looks the same...just that a mess of wire-nut connections inside the box is, well, still a mess... :)
But, expedient and typical, granted...just thinking of something slightly "more neater" would be nice and be able to label circuits for future reference simply as well.
Can be done routinely as you describe of course and is in compliance by Code granted...

What do you expect with "butt connectors"?
On 6/15/2019 12:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Chuckles...
Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Oh boy, you are on a roll.
--
Tekkie

What can I say? When you're hot, you're HOT!!!!

You can use the euro style terminal blocks. Just be sure to get the U/L, ETL or TUV listed ones (CE doesn't count). https://tinyurl.com/y34b4lm8 They can be a long strip of these.
For the grounds you can use a regular bus bar like you see in panels. That can make a very neat installation. I did it when I replaced my service panel to extend the wires that were too short. It avoided that jumble of wire nuts you are talking about.
On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 14:31:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: SNIPP

BUTT - can I use them with Aluminum wire?
Molex has ones listed for both copper and aluminum at: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family?key=highcurrent_universalclamp_terminal_blocks&channel=products&chanName mily&pageTitle=Introduction

May have to get a few of those stripos to extend the neutrals fo install arcfault breakers - - -

You have to separate neutrals anyway down stream of the bus bar in the panel. You are not allowed to bundle neutrals from different circuits although I have seen it done. It does get a tag from me. Those big kludge ceiling boxes are the worst offenders. That is also where most AFCI problems occur.
On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 15:43:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

For sure. My problem is the sparky who replaced my panel made too neat a job of it - cutting the neutrals to fit beautifully to the neutral buss without a "web" of unoused wire. A thing of beauty, really - but not nice for retro-fitting protection devices - - - -

I know what you mean, those OCD perfect looking panels are great as long as you never want to change anything.
On 6/15/2019 2:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Those do have to have rail mounting system which is neat but overkill for this even by my standards... :)
I'd pair each cable 2/3 wire and use common ground bus as gfretwell noted.
Breakers are in main panel and aren't changing -- have enough circuits and it's old work retrofit so I'm not going to change anything but make the wires longer to reach their new homes...

Yeah, that's the sort of thing...thought perhaps some who had done more recent work of the sort than I have might have seen or know of a "for purpose" panel.
I'll see what I can find at the local distributor's Monday...I thought I still had enough of the cabinet terminations used at the power plants but that stash seems to have been with the box of stuff that "disappeared" while I wasn't in the office one spell while in the moving process -- it included most of my small toolkit for setup of data acq systems including a good Fluke meter. :(

You usually end up with a bigger box when you use those terminal strips, just for working space but they are a lot neater.

Much. Used mostly Weidmuller for cabinets although some Phoenix...they're way too pricey for ordinary house wiring work but I thought I had a stash until I went to look...there was probably >$1K of materials in 1999 $$ in the box that went walkabout not counting the tools... :(

Those gray Carlon boxes are good for this. They can be 6x6 or 8x8 if you really need some room. You do have to drill your own holes but a hole saw works fine. It really depends on how many circuits we are talking about.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 15 Jun 2019 09:22:32 -0500, dpb

Not afaik. Just remember when you go to the new house of your richest neighbor: He has lot s of wires connected with wirenuts in his junction boxes too. You just don't see them, and you and he won't see yours either.

You're saying you have 3 places you can turn the entry light on or off, and you want to reduce that to 2 places. How about just don't use the third place. Maybe some day you'll change your mind or the next owner will want to use it and be glad it's there.

You want 3 places to turn the dining room lights on and off. Do you have 3 entrances to the dining room? Oh, you want one by the entry door, so you can turn many lights on from one location. That's fine, but makes it even stranger to me that you want to get rid of one location for the dining room lights.