Interesting law

Starting in 2020, Nevada employers cannot refuse to hire a job applicant fo r failing a marijuana screening test, making it the first state to pass suc h a law. "It is unlawful for any employer in this State to fail or refuse to hire a prospective employee because the prospective employee submitted to a screen ing test and the results of the screening test indicate the presence of mar ijuana," states the law, signed by Gov. Steve Sisolak on June 5. There are some exceptions. The law does not apply to firefighters, EMTs, em ployees who operate a motor vehicle, or those who, in the determination of the employer, could adversely affect others' safety.
Besides being an insane law, it should prove interesting.
Someone with THC in the their blood is a potential hazard on and off the jo b.
And employers do not have to give the reason for not hiring someone that I know of.
Nevada may be on their way to becoming a modern Sodom.
Can lawmakers who passed that bill be sued if an employee hurts or kills so meone while having THC in their system?
Andy
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:18:14 -0700 (PDT), A K

I suppose at a certain point they will have to quantify this so you can tell the difference between someone is stoned from someone who smoked a joint a week ago.
On 6/14/2019 11:18 PM, A K wrote:

As weed becomes legal I think you will see more laws like that. If you smoke, ut will show up a week or two after. So if you smoked a joint on Friday night two weeks ago should you not be hired? But if you were drink last night it is OK?
On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:23:02 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

t for failing a marijuana screening test, making it the first state to pass such a law.

e a prospective employee because the prospective employee submitted to a sc reening test and the results of the screening test indicate the presence of marijuana," states the law, signed by Gov. Steve Sisolak on June 5.

, employees who operate a motor vehicle, or those who, in the determination of the employer, could adversely affect others' safety.

e job.

t I know of.

s someone

You are right.
Alcohol is legal to buy in all states.
I think alcohol kills more people either directly or from accidents etc.
I wonder what happens when someone takes a test for drugs after a car accci dent?
Is there a THC limit like there is for alcohol?
Andy
On 6/15/2019 9:49 AM, A K wrote:

From what I've seen, it is a judgemental thing by trained police to determine impairment. They have some tests you do, similar to the field test for alcohol.
I do remember hearing there is some testing being developed like a breathalyzer.

Its been done for a long time now.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

When they pass a stupid law like that, there should not be any exceptions.
If I was running a business, I would not want to hire anyone that had a drug habit. Where I worked at one time they would do a random drug test. This was just a normal factory and nothing special.
On 6/15/2019 10:13 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Please explain a bit more. Do you categorize a person that smokes a couple of joints on the weekend a drug addict? You'd not hire them?
How about the guy that goes out to his car at break and lunch for a couple of shots of vodka? He'd pass the piss test so he must be ok. Put him on the fork lift.
Two of my best employees occasionally used marijuana on the weekend. Come Monday morning they were alert and did an excellent job. Hard drugs is a different story. Over the years a couple were let go.

No I would not hire anyone that smoked a joint or two on the weekend. Most likely he would slip in a puff or two before he came into work.
If I caught a fellow slipping out for a shot of vodka or even a beer he would be gone also.
Just let either of them get hirt on the job and the company is out big bucks.
One thing I did not like was when a company totally eliminate smoking anywhere. If they had a policy before you were hired, that is one thing, but not after people are there 20 years. The company I worked for did that. At the time there were peobably 1000 people in the plant. They did not allow smoking in the actual work areas, but had lots of break areas and other places that you could smoke. Yes, I did smoke when I was hired, but had been quit for about 20 years before the no smoking policy went into effect. Some of the better workers quit because of that. Others would sneek around as this is a very large place and many areas where people do not normally go, or not very often.
On 6/15/2019 4:12 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

You are in a fantasy world. Just as people are sneaking a smoke, others are sneaking a drink. It happens in most any place with more than a couple of dozen employees. Much easier to hide alcohol use over weed. I bet you are working with more alcoholics than you'd guess.

I may have been, but I knew a lot of them. The management seemed to turn a blind eye for many years. As the plant ran 24/7 and 365 days a year, about 30% of th eworkers were usually half drunk around Christmas and New years.

I was surprised when I turned up a couple of heroin users at my old company. I just thought they were just stupid but that demographic was advantageous to have on the roster so they stayed as long as we could carry them. Finally the customers forced the issue.

I had one mechanic who was so addicted to his nicotine sticks he couldn't go from break to break without one. Caught him smoking in a customer's car - and he was GONE!!! That was the last straw.
I always said he was so lazy he akways had his thumb up his ass and so dumb he didn;t know his ass from a hoke in the ground - - - -
On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 7:26:46 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

I knew a guy who pawned a tool to buy a pack of cigarettes.
I suspect that big tobacco puts something "extra" in cigs to keep people addicted.
This may be false, but I heard that the insecticides in cigarettes contributes to a lot of deaths.
I remember in junior high seeing a film showing a guy in a iron lung. And maybe an autopsy of a smokers lung.
Made an impression on me.
Andy
On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 20:24:48 -0700 (PDT), A K

Nicotine is plenty addictive enough to keep them coming back. I know lots of people who stopped smoking but they are still addicted to the gum.

More fool you. The users of the products of small tobacco are just as addicted.

Corse it is.

That’s bullshit. The growers of the tobacco that don’t use insecticides get just as many deaths in their users.

That’s polio, not smoking, stupid.

You clearly didn’t understand it.

Nicotine was still the addictive substance. Since cigarettes are simply the delivery method why shouldn't they try to increase the dose? Have you seen what happened to pot since the ragweed people smoked in the 60s? They also distill wine and grain "beer" to increase the alcohol concentration. Sugar is refined to increase the sucrose levels and they feed cows corn and hormones to increase the fat level. Welcome to America.
On 6/15/19 8:26 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

We have people like that here in the US...they're called democrats.  Schumer and Pelosi are good examples.
On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 06:57:19 -0400, Biff Tannen

Others would argue it's the repubnicans who have their heads up their ass - not their thumbs.

Seems like there is always some exception for the government jobs.
Even a while back business could not descriminate the LGBTs or whatever they are, but the military did. I still say that there should not be any law for the government that is not for all.
Even say the gun free zones. Even if at the White House will not let the public in carrying guns, the guards should be outside the White House and not inside unless sommeone gets in and does start shooting. Years ago Ted Kenedy had some personal guards that started in one of the government buildings with guns. I am not sure of the outcome,but the guards were not tried for that offence.