Interesting law

A salesman once told me "It's all about the dollars". Don't a lot of these fed laws promise $$$$ to a state if it does xyz?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yeah, just what I want getting rolled into surgery on the gurney- the doc, the scrub nurse or the equipment technician with THC in their system. Same for sitting in seat 6A on my next cross-country flight- pilot, copilot, navigator with red eyes and a big smile ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

What makes sense for the military doesn't necessarily make sense for all.

Makes a lot more sense to have those with guns already inside the White House if a shooter manages to get in there.

Reply to
Rod Speed

For the last good many years it seems that there are only two things the politicians care about are dollars and how to get reelected.

The drugs will bring in more money to the states. As I posted before the illegal drugs keep lots of people in jobs. The DEA, lawyers, car wreaks, doctors, police, court systems, and many more.

While nothing can really be stopped, the drug situation could be really slowed down. Just hang everyone cought with more than a trace of drugs after a quick (less than a week ) trial. You eliminate the users and dealers that way. Then the unemploymnet of the US jumps back up to 10 % for all those out of work.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

iirc, New Hampshire never ratified the 55 National Speed Limit. When threatened with loss of highway funding the reply was 'We've got enough roads already, thank you.'

I'd noticed it before but in the last two weeks I drove back east as far as western Virginia. In many of the western states the interstate speed limit is 80, with other roads at 70 except if they're particularly hazardous or populated. I drive the limit and very seldom am passed although I do pass slower drivers. Back east with limits of 65 I was a traffic hazard driving the limit.

I was just as happy when Montana adopted a speed limit. A couple of my bikes are just about out of juice at 100 mph so it was hard to dodge the

110 mph soccer moms.
Reply to
rbowman

I would rather have a surgeon who smoked a joint last night than one with a nasty hangover from drinking a fifth of whiskey

Reply to
gfretwell

The secret service has not fired a shot in anger to protect a president since November 1, 1950. Even then it was mostly the DC cops doing the shooting.

Reply to
gfretwell

Others would argue it's the repubnicans who have their heads up their ass - not their thumbs.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Only because they piss vast amounts of money against the wall to ensure no one gets close enough to need shooting.

And f***ed up spectacularly when Raygun got shot.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yeah, a law that applies when you are hired will stop that from happening three years later.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They would be wrong. Its your lie. Tell it anyway you want!

Reply to
Oren

Oh please push it! I would love to see the 9th and 10th amendment enforced!

Reagan was shot, Ford was shot at and Kennedy was killed. The white house itself was assaulted a half dozen times including gunfire hitting it, a plane crashing into it and one nut with a knife who jumped the fence and was running around inside the building itself.

Reply to
gfretwell

DC Maryland and Virginia may still be that way. I know when I lived there they simply refused to cooperate about any kind of traffic offense, mostly aimed at parking tickets. You could be revoked in DC or Virginia and Maryland didn't know and didn't care. If you had 500 parking tickets in DC, they could make Md try to help them collect. Since the cost of a replacement tag was a buck or two, a lot of Maryland people had a lot of "lost tags". Get a new tag number and you are a virgin again in DC. Because of bureaucratic inertia and the fact that tags were replaced every year anyway, in those days, you really only had to lose one tag a year to be safe most of the time.

Reply to
gfretwell

The last time I was in DC I tried but nobody bit. My wife freaked when I tossed a joint in the tray at security in the Smithsonian, along with my change and keys but the guard didn't say shit.

Reply to
gfretwell

And the SS never got close enough to the shooter in either case to shoot back, that's why they never shot anyone in anger.

And the SS never got close enough to the perp in either case to shoot back, that's why they never shot anyone in anger.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not true at all. They were close enough to be shot themselves at the Marriott, they were certainly close enough to shoot back. Sarah and Squeaky were close enough to be shot but both were tackled and wrestled to the ground instead. The guy inside the white house could have easily been shot if they were paying attention, while he was climbing over the alarmed fence or running across a 250 feet of lawn. Any other cop would have shot a guy waving a knife around inside a secure area too. You can get shot for a cell phone.

Reply to
gfretwell

We'll see...

No shots were fired by Squeaky.

No need to shoot that one.

Reply to
Rod Speed

She still had a loaded .45. It was simply that she didn't know how to operate it.

What does it take?

Reply to
gfretwell

Nicotine was still the addictive substance. Since cigarettes are simply the delivery method why shouldn't they try to increase the dose? Have you seen what happened to pot since the ragweed people smoked in the 60s? They also distill wine and grain "beer" to increase the alcohol concentration. Sugar is refined to increase the sucrose levels and they feed cows corn and hormones to increase the fat level. Welcome to America.

Reply to
gfretwell