Where should smoking be illegal?

A great start would be anywhere anyone complains about it
so all public places, townhouses, detached homes if the stench is detectable off site like a neighbors yard. smoking should be illegal around any child anyone under 21
we asa nation really need to extqunish smoking completely.
the fiancial and personal costs, are just way too high
On 05/28/2016 11:31 AM, bob haller wrote:

On private property, if the owner or someone who lives there objects to it (assume that defendant children object, like with rape).

Yes.

I remember something about how someone who smoked for 40 years has spent enough money to buy a house (and the house isn't putting poison in your lungs).
A couple of years ago, we had an election here about allowing sales of beer and wine. I'd much rather have cigarette sales illegal.
Of course, alcohol isn't completely harmless, but at least you don't have alcohol fumes coming out of the user and infecting others.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

what the hell business is that of yours?
On 5/28/2016 1:17 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Research is revealing that the refined carbohydrate and its resultant diseases (metabolic syndrome) is going to bankrupt healthcare in 20 years or so.
Type II diabetics and dementia patients are its most expensive victims.
On 05/28/2016 04:51 PM, Jesse wrote:

What does that have to do with smoking? It certainly doesn't DIRECTLY harm others, like smoking does.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I smoke, you complain, that's one against one, ergo the law should take no action.

Since when was a 20 year old considered a child?

Personal costs are personal to the smoker and nothing to do with you.
By the way, I've smoked about 30 cigarettes in my ENTIRE LIFE. So don't say I'm being selfish.
--
Computers can never replace human stupidity.

bob haller wrote:

Oh, look...a thread for self-righteous prigs.
bob haller wrote:

Suppose no one in the US smoked or EVER smoked. Would they still die? Seems to me, smokers die faster and (perhaps) younger thereby reducing the financial cost. Got a light, bud?

I tend to agree. Smokers generally delay medical care until they are on their death bed and die quickly. It is nothing compared to the cost of the typical hypochondriacs who bleed medicare every day, linger into their 90s and use far more medical services. To be clear, I don't smoke but I am also not offended when people do and I know their smoke is not harming me. Simply smelling a whiff of smoke is harmless, it just offends a few people looking for a reason to be offended. There seems to be a pretty long list of things that offend these people. .

"Inhalation of cigarette puff has an immediate effect on respiration by increasing airway resistance and therefore reducing the amount of oxygen absorbed into the body.4 Smoking causes a chronic (or long term) swelling of mucous membranes, which also leads to increased airway resistance. It induces chronic irritation of the respiratory lining and wide variety of carcinogens in the cells lining the respiratory tract. These changes lead to cancer. 5 Smoking greatly affects the lungs from an annoying repeated cough to grave illnesses like chronic bronchitis, emphysema and bronchial carcinoma." http://www.bioline.org.br/request?jm07001
"*Even a whiff of tobacco smoke* can adversely affect the body, the report concludes.
"Inhaling even the smallest amount of tobacco smoke can also damage your DNA, which can lead to cancer."
*Even brief exposure to secondhand smoke can cause heart disease and can trigger heart attacks*."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/09/AR2010120905910.html
Maggie

On Sat, 28 May 2016 22:20:37 -0500, Muggles

If that is true, and it sounds like bullshit to me, what is the effect of the carbon monoxide from lawn mowers, smoke from BBQ grills and the pollution from wood burning stoves? Should we ban all of them too?

It's not good to inhale carbon monoxide, or breathe in smoke from any source. Our lungs weren't designed to inhale those things.
Wouldn't you agree we should use caution and good sense when it comes to exposing ourselves to such things?

--
Maggie

On 05/28/2016 09:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, I guess we had better cancel our normally scheduled August forest fires.

The state does controlled burns here that fill the neighborhoods with smoke for days but if my neighbor lights up a cigarette in the park, some of these ninnies around here want to call a cop.
On 5/29/2016 1:12 AM, rbowman wrote:

That kind of smoke make people sick, too.
Fire fighters wear breathing equipment because that smoke isn't good to breathe, either. People die from smoke inhalation, and they also have similar physical responses to forest fire smoke that people have from secondhand cigarette smoke.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 10:02:57 -0500, Muggles

OK fine, why aren't you campaigning to ban wood stoves, fire places and back yard charcoal grills? A neighbor can burn 40 pounds of wood in an evening with impunity but if he is burning a gram of tobacco and you smell it, you go ballistic. I doubt there is s suburb in America where you don't smell a whiff of wood smoke in the winter or the smell of grilling meat in the summer. By your definition, if you can smell it, you are being harmed. When a bagel gets sideways in the toaster, do you evacuate the house and stay in a hotel until the place is decontaminated?

If you'd like to debate a different topic, start another thread. This topic is about smokers and smoking, right?
Moving the goal posts and trying to change the subject doesn't change the facts about smoking or secondhand smoke and it's dangers.

Your exaggerating my reaction. I don't go ballistic - I GET SICK from secondhand smoke. Those are 2 separate responses. One is an emotional response, and the other is a physical response that can't be controlled, unlike an emotional response CAN be controlled.

--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 10:54:09 -0500, Muggles

Only tobacco smoke? If not my point is valid. The fact remains most of the compounds in tobacco smoke is also in wood smoke.

Tobacco smoke is the main smoke I've been affected by, but other smoke I have similar reactions, too. VOC's mostly make me sick to my stomach and I can get headaches from them.

No, wood smoke contains "a complex mixture of gases and fine particles (also called particle pollution, particulate matter, or PM). These microscopic particles can get into your eyes and respiratory system, where they can cause health problems such as burning eyes, runny nose, and illnesses such as bronchitis. In addition to particle pollution, wood smoke contains several toxic harmful air pollutants including: benzene, formaldhyde, acrolein and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health
There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are poisonous. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/whats-in-a-cigarette.html
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 12:20:02 -0500, Muggles

A distinction without a difference, particularly when you look at the scale. 40 pounds of wood vs a gram of tobacco. (something like 20,000 to one).