Where should smoking be illegal?

On 05/30/2016 04:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

How much of that is really making you feel better, and how much is treating withdrawal symptoms?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

My guess? A mix of the two.... But I once knew an extremely high-powered programmer from IBM who maintained that without the help of nicotine and caffeine he never could have produced what he did.
--
Pete Cresswell

The topic is smoking, so the OP singled out smoking as the topic.

No, I disagree. It's a fact that secondhand smoke has caused health problems for people for a long time. We're finally getting around to logically responding to that issue.

Smoking isn't a right - it's a want, a bad habit.

It seems restaurant owners don't want to cater to just smokers because that eliminates a growing population of people who would not ever become patrons of that business because of the health hazards there.
--
Maggie

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 11:08:45 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Wrong again. The bar and restaurant owners had no choice in the matter. The libs shoved it down their throats with BANS. That's how the vast majority of bars became smoke free. Why can't we be left free to choose?
On 5/29/2016 10:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You're free to smoke in your own environment where your secondhand smoke can't harm other people.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

So is drinking. So is biting ones fingernails. So are a host of other things.
Believe it or not, there are a bunch of people that just don't want the government, you or anyone else what they can and cannot do.

That's fine...if the owner wants to run a smoke free place, he should be - and is - free to do so. However, when they pass laws FORCING him to do so, they have stepped over the line.
On 5/29/2016 11:25 AM, dadiOH wrote:

When someone elses right or freedom harms me or someone else, that right becomes limited. That's a logical response.

The problem with smoking areas in public places is the smoke doesn't STAY in the smoking areas.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 11:31:13 -0500, Muggles

We are questioning whether you are actually harmed or simple offended.

OK fine but why can't I have a smoking restaurant that you do not need to go into? I have heard tea totallers say the smell of alcohol offends them too (even to the point of sickness) but we just tell them to stay out of bars.

It's a fact secondhand smoke harms people, and I'm one of them.
OTOH, it would be offensive if someone knew I got sick from secondhand smoke and deliberately lit up and blew smoke in my face.
There's a difference.

Right now there are places like that. I don't know for how long they'll exist, though.

--
Maggie

Sun, 29 May 2016 15:08:41 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

That's your way of writing that you don't actually have enough knowledge of the subject to support the position you're taking on it.

Please provide some scientific studies to support what you're now stating as a fact. I'm not convinced that these health issues are directly related to 2nd hand smoke vs something else they were exposed to.

Are you having difficulty remaining on topic here?

Speaking of real, actual, health hazards.. Have you stopped driving while talking on your cell phone yet? Or, do you still think that using a hands free device makes you a safer cell phone using driver?
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:57:37 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Yes and like Gfre, I say that a whiff of smoke from a smoker who's ten feet away, isn't going to kill me. Nor will you be killed by a cigar dinner in a private room at a restaurant that you don't go to, but in many places, that's banned too.
On 5/29/2016 10:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Since WHEN is their ONLY one whiff of secondhand smoke??
--
Maggie

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 11:44:04 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

When you're walking into a building is a good example. How did that become an issue? Well the anti-smoking zealots first banned smoking inside buildings. So, smokers go outside and stand near the entrance. So, next the zealots claim that just walking by there, catching a brief whiff is intolerable. So, they passed another law making smokers stand 25 or 50 ft away. Then, that wasn't good enough, so in some cases, they passed laws preventing you from smoking anywhere on a property. That's what the lib zealots do. They won't be satisfied until everyone lives the way they insist they must live. Then, they are already starting on how much fat you can eat, what size soda you can buy. Maybe that's your America, it's not mine.
On 5/29/2016 10:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It stinks, makes me physically ill, causes me breathing problems for hours after I have one whiff, and I can't hold my breath long enough to pass a smoker to ONLY get just one whiff. More than one whiff makes me even sicker.

I'm not a liberal - I'm a conservative, and it's a good idea to limit secondhand smoke.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 11:16:36 -0500, Muggles

You are the same kind of "conservative" who wants to impose your morality on everyone else. That word has lost its meaning and become the same big government fascism we used to ascribe to liberals. The only difference is which rights you want to erode.
Your "sickness" is more learned behavior than fact ... unless that charcoal grill and fireplace down the street also makes you sick. The actual chemicals are virtually the same.

Limiting secondhand smoke has nothing morality issues - it has to do with health issues.

Me telling you that I get sick when exposed to secondhand smoke should be enough for you to accept that I "get sick". It's a physical illness, not a learned behavior.

--
Maggie

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:20:32 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Notice the word "puff"? They aren't talking about a whiff of a cigarette from 10 ft away.
4 Smoking causes a chronic (or long term)

Notice the word "smoking"? They aren't talking about a whiff of a cigarette from 10 ft away.
It induces chronic irritation of the respiratory lining and

Typical blather from zealots. There is all kinds of junk science out there, where the desperate zealots try to shove their BS down your throat. Brief secondhand smoke can cause heart disease? OMG, who would actually believe that crap? I get one whiff from a cigarette and I have heart disease?
On 5/29/2016 10:23 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Smoke never stays put at the origination point.

Zealots? Hardly.
--
Maggie

True.
And how do we "zealots" deal with insanely inconsiderate friends? I have a friend who smokes. He's a rarity cuz he's still young, while most of us are old geezers who have given up smoking. Anyway, his clothes stink of cigarette smoke, his breath stinks of cigarette smoke, and he tosses his cigarette filters all over the place, calling it, "no big thing". Yeah, why I gotta clean 'em up, then? I've got a baggie with a buncha discarded cigarette filters in it. He claims, "they musta fell outta my pocket". Yeah, and God loves little green apples..... but little green apples are not tossing cigarette butts all around my property.
They should outlaw cigarette filters!
</rant>
nb
On 5/29/2016 10:49 AM, notbob wrote:

People used to smoke outside the entrance to a job I worked at. The company told them they had to smoke away from the entrance, but it was always like walking through a cloud. Despite having a butt disposal container nearby, all the butts ended up on the ground. It not only stank to high heaven there, but company guests would enter that door and it was a horrific representation of the companies first impression.
Eventually, smoking there was banned and moved to the back side of the building.
--
Maggie