Where should smoking be illegal?

Let us not forget.... wait for it..... chewing gum!!
I guess the fact that there is no smell to offend, it's not as noticeable. BUT..... I've seen tons of discarded, flattened, chewing gum wads outside buildings.
One was so blatant and obvious, I wanted to get a photograph. The sun hit a jillion flattened chewing gum "coins" and the entrance to this one particular mall lit up like a diamond display. I jes happened to see the same phenomena on some newscast video shots.
I bet there is tons! of discarded chewing gum, all over the world. No outcry. No hissy fits. Why? No one can smell old chewing gum.
nb
On 5/29/2016 11:38 AM, notbob wrote:

hmmm I guess it's not carcinogenic, either! lol
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

Wait a while, there will be a study someday.

Wrong. Certain 'taste like sugar/sweet without actually being sugar' chemicals have been determined to be carcinogenic and have since been removed from the products and replaced with something else that'll probably also be determined as 'bad for you' at a later date.
Do you drink soda, Jenn? Chew gum? You've probably injested these wonderful second hand smoke free, cancer causing chemicals, and, never realized it.
Oh what mess it is when you want to outlaw things that are 'bad for you' Your hands free cell phone driving is bad for you and everyone else you share the road with. We should have laws against it. Oh wait, rofl, we already do. :-)

Chewing gum is totally banned in Singapore.

What isn't!?
nb
On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 11:36:57 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Well, there you go again, off into loony land. Folks, it's starting. I'm sure that everyone else here knows that a "puff" means you have the cigarette in your mouth and you are inhaling. Therefore the effects of a "puff" are going to be very different than a whiff from 10 ft away. It's like saying a whiff from a bus passing by is the same as sucking on the exhaust, so the effects are the same.

Your inability to distinguish between a puff and a whiff from 10 ft away shows that you're one of them.
On 5/29/2016 11:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:

A puff becomes a whiff and doesn't stay a puff. Hello?
--
Maggie

On 05/28/2016 10:31 AM, bob haller wrote:

We asa (sic) nation really need to extqunish (sic) a lot of things completely. Smoking is way down on the list.
On Sat, 28 May 2016 22:27:06 -0500, Muggles
No the trend is to placate people who are simply offended if they even see someone smoking a block away.

I don't get offended when someone is smoking a block away. I get sick if I'm exposed to any secondhand smoke whether it's on purpose or accidental.
--
Maggie

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:36:52 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

+1
Or someone who wants to host a cigar dinner, a couple times a year in a private room at a restaurant. You don't like it, just don't go. But that isn't good enough for the zealots. They demand that everyone be tolerant to others based on every kooky conceivable situation, but they are the least tolerant of all.
South Park has a good episode on tolerance. Parents force the kids to go to a tolerance museum, where they are shown the evils of intolerance, eg using racial slurs, stereotypes of Mexicans as lazy, Asian as smart, etc. Then when the parents and tolerance museum people walk outside there is a guy 30 ft away who's smoking a cigarette. They all immediately viciously attack him for smoking.
On 05/29/2016 10:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

IIRC, that episode was called "The Death Camp of Tolerance", and involved a teacher who wanted to be fired for being gay. I first guessed the title was "Lemmiwinks", after the gerbil he put up someone's ass.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

High fructose corn syrup? ;-)
The same doctors who bitch about tobacco have no problem prescribing speed and opium to kids. No matter what the perceived problem is, they have a cocktail of pills for it.

As an ex-smoker of tobacco, I agree.
I don't know why ex-smokers are so offended, but I now absolutely hate the stink of cigarette smoking. Unbelievably horrible smelling habit! Can't believe I did it as long as I did. 8|
nb

Like most ex smokers, you are actually afraid that if you smell the smoke, you will want one. Once a junkie always a junkie. Why should your will power issues guide other peoples lives? There are plenty of reasons not to smoke but I look at it like not wearing a helmet on a bike. Everyone tries to make the case that they are harmed when the rider doesn't have a helmet on but the reality is it will only be a rider who is harmed. Just like the smokers who die, it is usually going to be cheaper for society than living to a ripe old age and dying from "natural causes" That usually means years in intensive care sopping up social security and medicare bucks, generally ending up in bankruptcy on medicaid when they go to nursing home care.

I always suspected you were a moron. Thank you for confirming it.
nb

Debate the point. Name calling is what defines stupid people.
notbob wrote:

I know why. It's because their sense of smell returned. Many years ago I quit smoking for about a month.
After two weeks, I was constantly assailed by noxious odors...car exhaust, cooking odors in restaurants, body odors in theaters (and everywhere else), public restrooms, perfumes with which people tried to nask their body odor. Et cetera.
Sun, 29 May 2016 03:27:06 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

That's so overrated, too. Second hand smoke is far less harmful than the exhaust fumes your van emits when it's running.