Sourcing a letter box to go through a cavity wall.

Hi again all.

I want to put a letter box into a cavity wall. The wall is double concrete block and, in total, is approx 300mm thick.

Does anyone know where I could get a letterbox which will go through it - and eliminate (as much as poss) draughts! (I know I could mess around with some galvanised sheeting to make a slot-shaped box and then buy a standard letterbox front to go on the outside wall, - but I'm trying to save time!)

TIA.

H.

Reply to
Howie

flat plastic ducting, what is it, 7" or something?

Reply to
bigcat

A French DIY shed. The standard French letter box is a big steel box with a footprint large enough to take a folded newspaper and about as high as it is wide. They come as single entry (a door where the letter slot is) and double entry (a door at each end). The single entry ones can be either built in or surface mounted, but the double entry boxes are designed to be installed through walls.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

... coin slot at the top, and a knob on the side ...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

|> I want to put a letter box into a cavity wall. The wall is double |> concrete block and, in total, is approx 300mm thick. |>

|> Does anyone know where I could get a letterbox which will go |> through it - and eliminate (as much as poss) draughts! | |A French DIY shed. The standard French letter box is a big steel box with a |footprint large enough to take a folded newspaper and about as high as it is |wide. They come as single entry (a door where the letter slot is) and double |entry (a door at each end). The single entry ones can be either built in or |surface mounted, but the double entry boxes are designed to be installed |through walls. | |Colin Bignell

Thats good. Ta for the info. I'm over in France to do a bit more reno work in March. I'll have a look around then.

Cheers!

Reply to
Howie

Silly thought: are letters going to get stuck inside it? I'd imagine a standard bank statement or something being easily able to hide between the two ends.

Perhaps you'd need to slant it, like a mini coal chute.

Reply to
Nick Atty

|Silly thought: are letters going to get stuck inside it? I'd imagine a |standard bank statement or something being easily able to hide between |the two ends. | |Perhaps you'd need to slant it, like a mini coal chute.

I don't think letters are going to stick ;-) After all, it's just a hollow, box-section tube. Probably easier to locate letters in than those lockable post boxes you can screw on an outside wall!

Reply to
Howie