Kitchen Units kick board

I have just positioned a tall oven housing and some base units in our galley type kitchen. I started at the oven housing as it needed a cutout to fit round a ventilation duct. The kick board supplied is 140mm deep and I levelled it off at that height above the floor but due to the slope of the floor by the time the last base unit was in place the gap had increased to to about 150mm.

Now the question is what to do about it? I could level the last unit at 140mm and drop the others on level with it that would then require scribing to the floor and removing a long thin wedge which I really do not fancy over a length of 2.2m of 18mm melamine coated chipboard. One alternative is to secure the kick board level and glue in a fillet strip once the flooring has gone in to cover the gap, which I am leaning towards.

In the past where similar has occurred I have simply let the kick board rest on the floor with any small gaps left under the bottom of the base units as the only way you would see them is to get right down to floor level but this time the difference is in the order of 10mm. One complication to throw into the mix is that the middle base unit has a kick space heater and the opening in the kick board needs to be quite accurate as the front grill is only a matter of a few millimetres wider than the opening.

Installing these first few units has already been a mare. The wall at the back of the 2.1m high tower unit was 20mm out of vertical. Fortunately the units have a service gap at the back so I was able to scribe the back edge but it involved a lot of humping the unit up and down to get it to sit against the wall right and at the same time to accurately make the opening to accommodate the ventilation duct. This was followed by a lot more scribing and unit positioning to keep the worktop square with the units and minimising the amount of scribing against the wall. So an easy solution is required but I do not want it to look naff.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Surely only toddlers and animals will see that gap, so who cares?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Leave the gap at the top (as you've done before) and fix a thin covering piece of something 15-20mm wide to the top of the kick board so that is abuts the bottom of the cupboard and covers the gap. Alternatively, use mastic (a Fugenboy is your friend!) I wouldn't scribe the bottom (unless you have uneven tiles) because of the risk of water damage - if you do, then remember to varnish the edge.

Reply to
nothanks

Spiders love those gaps. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

And escaped hamsters :-)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

If the gap is big enough to allow a hamster through you have a problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff