Kick Toe heater sizing

Ok - I am remodling my kitchen and I'm putting cabinets where my existing baseboard had been so I want to put a toe kick heater in as a replacement.

Anyone know of a good site for a DIY'er to get sizing info and product info on these units? I've already pulled out the existing forced hot water baseboard (and just spliced it to the existing zone with 3/4 copper). The old baseboard was around 5 feet. The kitchen is 12'x12'.

I can do all the plumbing and electrical for the unit just need to know what to buy. Any experience/opinions welcome.

TIA

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

Just my opinion: use anything but a toekick. I've used a few brands like Myson, and Becon-Morris. I'm pretty sure they're all made by the same company. From my experience, over time they tend to vibrate and become very loud. Make sure you don't install them under any base cabinet where you'd want to stand in front of, they blow so hot you have to straddle it

Reply to
RBM

What would you suggest in an area that has cabinets all around? I've had no heat at all this winter in the room (New England) and quite honestly, I've thought about no heat. The room doesn't get more than a degree or so below the rest of the house - and that was even with all the insulation ripped out. Now that I've insulated and rocked it, cooking overheats it. LOL!

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

A little radiant under the floor would be nice, but not always possible or practical. They make some really small in wall electric units with transflow blowers, similar to those in the toe kick, if it was a choice between the two

Reply to
RBM

Well - radiant isn't an option. I started with just a new floor and my wife "decided" we needed a new kitchen AFTER I had laid the tile. I'm not pulling it up! LOL! I've seen "electrical" toe kicks - is this what your talking about? I have upgraded my electrical (due to running all new circuits to the kitchen and I only had 100amp fuse service originally) so I'm not necessarilly adverse to that as a solution. Thoughts?

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

No, I'd use hydronic toe kicks before electric. It seems to me that something is wrong in their design, that so many are noisy. They even sit on rubber cusheons to prevent vibration. I'm talking about "in wall fan-forced heaters", like this one from Grainger:

These are my second to last choice, only slightly better than toe kicks. I would try to see if it would be possible to install a recessed or semi recessed radiator if you have any wall space at all

Reply to
RBM