kitchen base units 1000 or 600 ?

Not fitted a kitchen for ages. Are there any general principles to selecting 1000 or 600 base units apart from achieving the overall length you are after ? For example, any reason not to go for all 1000 units ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

None. Get what fits/what you want. Some people like a line of 500 doors, others are not too bothered if it goes 500/400/400/300 etc.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Not that I can see.

Bear in mind though, that assembling 4 x 500 units takes a lot longer than assembling 2 x 1000.

Wickes take away range is good value.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think 600s (as in 2 x 300 doors) look nicer, perhaps it's just me

tim

Reply to
tim....

I fitted 1000mm Wickes units recently and had to add extra legs (well, lengths of baton) to stop them sagging in the middle. Still, I'm sure the 1000s work out considerably cheaper than a couple of 500s.

Reply to
mike

Have you mentioned this to the wife:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well worth doing, as is supporting the front edge of the shelf on the central divider. Anything to push back the suggestion of replacement. ;-)

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Smaller doors are more practical. Less of an obstruction when they're open

Reply to
stuart noble

None whatsoever but bear in mind the spaces for appliances (dishwashers, ranges etc are mostly 600 in domestic kitchens) Probably why the kitchen people seem to work in 600 blocks.

Reply to
F Murtz

No. (!) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I guess the main use of the 1000 unit is to fit a double or 1.5 bowl sink unit. I'll probably use 600 for the rest, and fill in the ends with whatever is closest or infill panels. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You can if you wish, straddle two 600 units with your two bowl sink. You just try to get both drains in the one unit and form the sides to the shape of the overlapping bowl.

Reply to
F Murtz

makes a rather too large drawer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , tim.... writes

300 doors? surely a 600 unit would have 1x600 door normally. A 1000 unit will have 2 x 500.
Reply to
chris French

Our kitchen here (about 30 years old) has a 1200 unit for the sink

Reply to
chris French

IIRC you can fit 2 x 300 doors to a 600 unit but, as there's no central division in the carcass, there's nothing for the doors to close against and you're aware of the gap between them.

Reply to
stuart noble

Oh yes, I'm sure you can fit 2x300 doors, but I'd not say it was the norm. I'd find it rather annoying I think (unless pushed for space, eg a narrow galley kitchen

Reply to
chris French

Owing to a cockup by the designer we have a pair of 300 doors on a 600 unit, although all the rest have either 500 or 600 doors.

You don't notice the gap. They close against the top and bottom. And you don't bang your head on them coming around the corner!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Most kitchen base units these days don't have drawers, just full height doors - unless you buy a specific drawer unit.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not if you get ready-assembled stuff from Howden's (if you're able to blag a trade account from them)

Howden's certainly worked out the cheapest supplier for me last time I looked - also very versatile as you can easily buy any spare doors/components etc for 'customisations' at the same time.

David

Reply to
Lobster