Isolator between meter and CU

Planning a big rewire, and seems like a good time to fit an isolator switch between the meter and (new) CU, and prob fit new colour 25mm meter tails as well.

Is there any advantage to getting the DNO to fit this for me rather than doing it myself? I'll prob fit new 25mm (new colour) meter tails at the same time.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

DNO?

I rang up my supplier on Friday to arrange exactly this. They will not supply it, but they will connect up a switch if I already have it in place. I'm buying a isolating switch to fit into a box, something like this: Or maybe go with what my local supplier recommends/has in stock.

With a suitable box to fit it in. I'll also need to buy 2 tails from the new switch to the CU. The existing tails will be used from the meter to switch. There is no charge from them for this. EON/MEB wanted £150 to supply and fit a switch - I rang them first as I thought it was they who still owned the meter, but it is my supplying company who own it now (Scottish and Southern in my case). They were pretty helpful when I rang, it took a while to explain what I wanted, but the operator got back to me and said they could arrange an Engineer to come round and do it in 10 days time. They won't supply a switch, neither will they fit it to the wall, all they'll do is isolate the supply, and swap over the tails.

I debated whether to do it myself, but have heard of incoming fuses breaking when they are taken out, also, this CU change will be part of my assessment, so I wanted to do it properly. For the inconvenience of waiting an extra week top do the job, it is no problem at all for me.

HTH Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Planning a big rewire, and seems like a good time to fit an isolator switch between the meter and (new) CU, and prob fit new colour 25mm meter tails as well.

Is there any advantage to getting the DNO to fit this for me rather than doing it myself? I'll prob fit new 25mm (new colour) meter tails at the same time.

*************************

Advantages You will not risk being accused of tampering with their eqpt, damaging their eqpt, abstraction of electrictity. You will not risk electrocution taking the fuse out or working live

Disadvantages Costs time and money

If you do, then make absolutely sure there is no current going through the suppliers fuse when you take it out and be aware the housings can shatter.

I am not going to advise you to do it. But this is a diy group after all....

Regards Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

DNO?

********************

Distribution Network Operator.

Reply to
BruceB

I was going to get an isolator fitted and then I found out that the new digital meters often have an isolator switch under a panel. Since it is after the meter function its not going to look like you are nicking leccy. I just cut the security tag across it and used that when I fitted the new CU. If you have an old meter, you might find they will fit a new digital one for free, which may include an isolator. Just a thought. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I asked my DNO (E.on) worksman whether they would fit me one as a user convienience freebie.

Was told that they have stopped doing it a few years ago as on cost grounds. Particular bloke advised to just hoik out the company fuses if need be to isolate, and they would be sealed at a later visit by them. Presumably the threat of being locked up at her majesty's pleasure for fiddling with the seals doesn't apply to consumer unit swaps, only illicit hydroponic lighting supply lashups....

Reply to
Adrian C

Ah, just read A.Lee's response. Looks like I'll be best approaching my billing company instead of fiddling with the fuses. Makes sense, it's past their meter. Plse disregard my last wibberings.

Reply to
Adrian C

Eaton (AN2EBD) seem to be a commonly installed by the electric cos.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks for the replies thus far.

It would be very inconvenient to have to fit the new enclosure/switch before pulling the main fuse. I need to pull the main fuse to isolate the incredibly spaghetti like existing installation, remove some of it, and make space for the new switch. Both the supply and meter seals are already broken (and were when we moved in).

I've not heard of these main fuse housing shattering before. I'll be be even more careful than I was going to be anyway!

If I get a moment I'll post a photo of the existing installation for general entertainment.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I'd be interested to know i.d.c. if they require a certificate before re-connecting. And if so whether they will accept one from you if you are not a member of one of the Part P "guilds".

Reply to
Robin

AIUI, no, they do not require anything. From what I have been told: The reasoning behind this is that if there is a fault later on, they will have 'passed' the circuits by accepting the certificate of the previous tester. (and this was shown to us at College a few weeks ago. A full, genuine, periodic test sheet, which would have been no use to anyone. The person doing it had either put in some erroneous figures, or he had not tested the circuit correctly. The Lecturer explained why there was no way the figures could be correct, as the ohm readings were wildly different.)

As this certificate could be wrong, or badly filled in, the Co. fitting the isolator cannot accept it without confirming the results themselves. And if they do that, they are then liable for any fault, so they will not do any testing.

I know the last time the MEB came to my house to connect up my new CU (14 years ago), the chap did a number of tests to ensure it was reasonably safe before connecting up the tails. He couldnt have tested much, as he was only here for an hour or so, but I think insulation and earth continuity tests could show potential problems pretty quickly.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I would love to have seen that certificate.

Adding an isolator is really no big deal. After all, meters are swapped on a daily basis without any secondary checks.

I do not think that "they" connect up CUs any more.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, even though we were not doing periodic testing, he went through the test sheet to show things that were clearly wrong. One that springs to mind were the earth continuity, these were typically .4 ohms, then went up to 2 ohms for a similar circuit, then another at .01ohms. None of the readings made sense, the Lecturer told us that the tester either did not know what he was doing, was just doing it wrongly, or there were numerous faults in the circuits, which he hadnt checked. Either way, he should not have been passing the wiring in the house (which he had done).

This test sheet came via a full time sparky on the course, who had been asked to wire up a circuit to a jacuzzi at the house, and tap off an existing circuit. The advice was to not take on the job, as he could be there for a week sorting the problems.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

EDF do (at least in the SeeBoard area). I had all that "what's your NICEIC number" bollocks" when I had my fuse pulled.

I said I didn't have one - but gave him the EIC I'd filled in, showed him the Megger I'd done it with. What really helped was that I'd spent ages making a neat job:

was what persuaded him to let me keep the REC2S isolator in "their" box, wot I'd just fitted.

My advise would be, if it's EDF, and the OP doesn't have the means to test the circuit, pull the cutout fuse, unless it looks seriously old, in which case don't. Antique gear (and there is still some in service) may do one of several interesting things:

Shatter;

Come off the board due to rusted screws bending the old dried out paper/oil insulated incomer cable which now shorts out and blows up in your face.

Have lots of asbestos in the fuse carrier.

IMO the DNO's (meter operators in some areas) should be obliged in law to fit an isolator. But as someone noted, some meters have an inbuilt one.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Was that info requested just to add the isolator, or was the guy aware of more works going on?

I have never been asked to provide any ID or certificates prior to a new connection been made or cutout moved.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They were booked for a fuse pull, that's all. I might have said I was installing a new CU - can't remember. They told me on the phone that they'd be wanting a EIC/PIR. That's EDF for you...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Manweb = Scottish Power

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Photos of the meter/cutout and existing installation:

Piers Finlayson

I can confirm that EDF (in London) used to want a certificate if reconnecting to just a new isolator. (Perhaps Adam's superiority was self-evident?)

I don't know about UK Power Networks who EDF say have taken over operation of their networks in London, South East and East. I'd be interested in any experience of them as I may have a need for them to do a meter upgrade.

Reply to
Robin

units/workshops. Is it a conversion from an industrial building?

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee