Fuse Upgrade: how to upgrade the tails from the meter.

I want to upgrade the incoming fuse to 100A ready for switch from gas to electric oven and hob + better electric shower.
I know UKPN will do the fuse, and my supplier (EDF) should be able to do the 16mm tails /to/ the meter. My problem is bloody BG fitted an isolator with 16mm tails from the meter. (Despite me having my 25mm tails ready and waiting to run from the isolator to the CU.) And everyone tells me I'm supposed to get an electrician to do the tails /from/ the meter.
Two questions on that:
a.    how's the electrician supposed to deal with the meter seal? do their tails so EDF find the meter unsealed? be here at the same time as EDF so EDF cut and then re-seal? or what? (I can't get a straight answer from EDF.)
b.    can they insist I get a card-carrier as it's not replacing a CU, not in a special location, not a new circuit...?
--
Robin
On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 3:50:18 PM UTC+1, Robin wrote:

When I did my CU change, I fitted an isolator, and got EDF to do a disconnect (for the old CU) and reconnect (to the isolator). IIRC I provided some tails already attached to the isolator, and they did the rest.
I didn't ask the ins and outs of who was supposed to do what - I did the bits attached to my side, and didn't touch any seals. The guy who turned up did the rest.
On 03/07/2019 15:50, Robin wrote:

The electrician cuts the seals, removes the fuse, replaces the tails, replaces the fuse and goes home after training customer to say "I was like that last time they read the meter"
--
Adam

On 03/07/2019 18:48, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W92s3ity_0Q

--
Robin
On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 18:48:08 +0100, ARW wrote:

That's what happened here, except I was the 'electrician'. That was when I put the isolator in too.

I don't think they are too much bothered if they turn up and find the seals broken. They'll just seal them before they go. There certainly won't be an inquest. Adam might know differently.
Peter Johnson wrote:

I cut the seal, pulled the fuse, added my own isolator, with 25mm^2 tails on my side of it ... no meter reader said anything for many years, eventually when meter was replaced the chap upgraded the tails on their side of the isolator, uprated the fuse, and sealed the fuse (as well as the input side of my isolator) not a word was said.
On 04/07/2019 10:18, Andy Burns wrote:

FTAOD I'd happily do that (since the problem with the jammed fuse was sorted some years back) but it's the tails between the meter and the isolator which you left that I need to replace.
--
Robin
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 10:47:42 +0100, Robin wrote:

The isolator and tails from it to meter are yours if I remember who is respnsible for what corectly.
Incomer, cut out to it's output termianls and MET - DNO. Meter and tails from the cut out - Your supplier. Downstream of meter output terminals - You.
As the only way to safely work on your meter to isolator tails is to cut the seals on the meter and fuse and pull the fuse. They really can't argue, though I supposed you ought to tell the DNO and Supplier that you have had work done, Or look on eBay for the seal wire and lead crimps...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 05/07/2019 09:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Or just ask me if I have any:-)
--
Adam

Mine has yellow plastic ties rather than lead crimps - is this an alternative?
--

Roger Hayter

On 06/07/2019 12:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

Why not. They are only there to see if the cover or fuse has been removed.
--
Adam

Think they'd only be interested if you had abnormally low leccy bills. ;-)
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *