Kitchen Extractors

can anyone recall seeing extractors that inset into the worktop and pop-up when in use. The ones I vaguely remember would suck the fumes downwards under the hob. If so any web-based supplier of same?

Roger

In message , Roger writes

ISTR they had them on a TV program I think. Probably Grand Designs.

Maybe trawl their website

Reply to
chris French

not seen ones that pop up. If you have the fan under the worktop nothing would need to pop up. And if you went one further and raised the hob 5mm above its usual position you could use that gap all round as the extraction duct entrance, then the whole shebang wuold be invisible. Add duct and inline fan, and waterproof the cut wood edge of course.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

How would you clean the grease out?

Reply to
Guy King

In the worst design case a bent bottle brush or similar I spose. One would have to form an enclosure under the hob so that could be removable for a more sensible design.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They are called "downdraft extractors", do a search on that and you should get plenty of hits.

Reply to
Bolted

it did, thank-you, all far too expensive and all with unconvincing reports as to effectiveness. That's _one_ stupid idea out of the way.

Roger

"Roger" wrote

Ain't there just loads of them out there in kitchen design lala land?

Lot's and lot's of silly and expensive ways to do things when there are are long standing sensible solutions. Of course I guess a significant amount of kitchens are sold on the basis of their "I spent more money than my social competitors" credentials rather than on the basis of common sense.

HLAH

That's they way it sounded to me at first glance, I can imagine it sucking the house inside out before it actually managed to clear steam & smells from the high levels that hot air is bound to inverse gravitate to. Sounds well avoided.

Reply to
fred

They'll be stylish, trendy, expensive, but totally useless then!

Andrew

Reply to
google

The message from snipped-for-privacy@sheerstock.fsnet.co.uk contains these words:

Possibly the most useful feature of Grand Designs - shows you what to avoid.

Reply to
Guy King

I think youre wrong on both points. Having used them - but not for cooking - I can confirm they do indeed work, altho its well known theyre not as good as overhead units. For best result put the intake behind the hob, between hob and wall.

Nor are they expensive, a quarter to half inch gap along the back of the worktop behind the hob costs not a lot, an inline fan and duct ditto, and a bit of boxing to enclose the gap underneath also ditto. Dont overlook arrangements for cleaning.

Downdraughts are good for situations where overhead isnt practical. If either is an option, go for overhead as theyre better at removing cooking products.

NT

Reply to
meow2222